My Conversation with John – Ministering through Diversity

Recently I was doing some research in the library. A couple of computers away sat a gentleman, John, I’d spoken with once before. We recognized one another and began a conversation.

To appearances, John and I have very little, if anything, in common. He’s black, I’m white. He grew up in an inner city, me in a small town in Kansas. He was finely dressed in a suit and tie, I looked more like I belonged in the garden. He’s a fundamental Baptist, I’m a liberal Methodist.

John is the pastor of a city church. It’s in a somewhat depressed area. I’m active in a church recognized as being in an affluent area. His church is very small, mine fairly large.

NOPE. John and I have NOTHING in common!

EXCEPT

Our mutual love for Jesus Christ!

As I said, I was doing some research (on predestination and free will.) John was preparing his sermon for Sunday on the Blood of Christ.

We got into nearly an hour’s worth of conversation covering many topics: The Nature of Jesus, Creation, Baptism, Predestination/Free Will, Hell, The Garden of Eden and others. I have to say that our views differed on each and every one of the specific topics we discussed. We asked one another many questions, each listening carefully to what the other had to say. It was a very enlightening, positive give and take for both of us. I learned a lot, and he was taking some notes, commenting that he how had some new sermon topics.

John and I are both within the Body of Christ. We both seek opportunities to minister to others. We ministered to each other, I believe. I know I came away greatly inspired and much more informed.

I’m sending this to John, along with some other information he requested. I’m REALLY looking forward to learning more from him as well.

Maybe this is another opportunity for me to meet with John and invite my Jewish friend Elliott to join us! What a wonderful opportunity that would be

Ministry opportunities come in unexpected and unusual ways. We need to have our eyes and ears open to be ready for them. We need to strap on the armor of God. It is useful even among friends.

This was truly a case, as John commented, of iron sharpening iron.

What a blessing!

Shalom, Art

Alive in The Word

About these ads

About aliveintheword

Missouri, USA Married to Marty, 45 years 2 sons (with 2 daughers-in-law) and 2 granddaughters Life dedicated to serving Jesus Christ and delivering the Good News
This entry was posted in CHRISTIAN LIFE AND THE WORD and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to My Conversation with John – Ministering through Diversity

Oh, Art, what a marvelously blessed time you had at the library with John! I am blessed to have several encounters similar to this most days. Because I WALK to commute and perform errands and visit friends here in this town, all SORTS of folk share and talk with me–showers of blessings result. When we walk around with the love of Christ in our hearts, others are drawn as to a magnet.

2. bography says:

Hi, you said you discussed free will. How did the two of you differ in this regard?

3. wdednh says:

Reblogged this on YOU DECIDE.

4. >> “Ministry opportunities come in unexpected and unusual ways. We need to have our eyes and ears open to be ready for them.”
    How true! As a woman who doesn’t get out much these days, my weekly shopping trip to the supermarket usually gives opportunities. Quite often this will be in the form of a lonely or sad looking woman sitting on one the benches there – one who gladly accepts a friendly chat. It is usually quite natural to introduce the topic of having a personal experience with the Creator God through the Lord Jesus and of the blessings He provides. I leave them with a Gideons New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs, pointing out to them the ‘helps’ in the front and God’s way of salvation in the back. While I might never see them again, they have God’s Word.

I think here on ChristianBlessings and through our blogs elsewhere, we minister to one another. I know I have been blessed through the spiritual wisdom of fellow bloggers.

We serve an amazing God!

5. ptl2010 says:

It is the privilege of being family – love, pray, share, forgive, help, support,.. etc…yet each made unique to serve a unique purpose, fill a niche, strong encourage the weak, comforting in times of pain, grief, sorrow and laughing and thanking God for the mountains and the valleys, blessing one another and all. Praise the Lord for Jesus who binds us together in His family of love Don’t we enjoy being together rather than apart?

Blest be the tie that binds.

This was actually very neat, thanks for sharing! :)

• When we are in the Body of Christ, no matter our differences, we are more alike than anything else!

• writinggomer says:

Amen, I only wish more people would see this. To many are ready and willing to attack one another over even minor differences. Learn from each others differing views, this does not mean that we have to accept the other persons viewpoint, but if we are open to listening, we may just learn a nugget of wisdom even from someone we disagree with!