ARE YOU WORRIED BY A “BIG JOHN”?

I was looking through some of my old lesson material this morning and I came across this story about Big John.  I think it has something to say to most of us.

One fine day, a bus driver went to the bus station, started his bus, and drove off along his route. No problems for the first few stops: a few people got on, a few got off, and things went generally well. At the next stop, however, a big hulk of a guy got on. He was six foot eight, built like a wrestler, with arms hanging down almost to the ground.

He glared at the driver and said, “Big John doesn’t pay!” and sat down at the back of the bus.

Now, the driver was five foot three, thin, and basically meek. Naturally, he didn’t argue with Big John, but he wasn’t happy about it. The next day the same thing happened. Big John got on again, made a show of refusing to pay, and sat down – and the next day, and the one after that, and every day.

This grated on the bus driver, who started losing sleep over the way Big John was taking advantage of him. Finally he could stand it no longer. He signed up for body building courses, karate, judo, and all that stuff.

By the end of the summer, he had become quite strong, and what’s more, he felt really good about himself. So on the next Monday, when Big John once again got on the bus and said, “Big John doesn’t pay!” the driver stood up, glared back at the passenger, and yelled, “Oh Yeah! And why not?!”

With a surprised look on his face, Big John replied simply, “Big John has a bus pass”

I wonder how many “Big Johns” or perceived big problems
we face in our daily lives and worry about them?
I wonder if they really ARE “Big Johns”?
They LOOK big.  They LOOK threatening.
They DO overwhelm us, but are they mostly froth and bubble?
The driver THOUGHT he had a problem,
and he worried and fretted about it – needlessly.

Maybe we need to realistically examine the things we worry about, to see just how big they are, before we pour energy in trying to solve them and only get ourselves into a tizzy.  Chances are, we are worrying about nothing.
Mark Twain said:
“I am an old man and have known a great many troubles,
but MOST of them NEVER HAPPENED”

In Matthew 6 Jesus Himself assures us that our loving heavenly Father will look after us, and we are assured in 1 Peter 5:7 that we can cast ALL our cares on the greatest Burden-Bearer because He cares for us.

On the other hand, maybe these perceived problems will help to move us out of our comfort zone to prepare us for a real problem when it comes.

Either way, the way we LOOK at the problem will have a great effect on how we DEAL with the problem – and on the outcome.

* Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy

* Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it gets
you nowhere

* A day of worry is more exhausting than a day of work

* If a worry is too small to be turned into a prayer, it is too small to be made
into a burden.

Never a trial that He is not there;
Never a burden that He does not bear;
Never a sorrow that He does not share;
Moment by moment, I’m under His care.

Never a heartache and never a groan;
Never a tear drop and never a moan;
Never a danger, but there on the throne,
Moment by moment, He cares for His own.
Daniel W Whittle

About these ads

About meetingintheclouds

I am Cloudwatcher, a 76 year old Christian lady, happily married to a wonderful man for over 50 years. We have five wonderful sons, all with at least one University degree and in top positions in their chosen fields. One son is still single but four have found perfect wives and they have given us five lovely grandchildren. I was born in England and while I'm proud of my English heritage, I am doubly proud to be a true-blue, fair-dinkum Aussie. My husband and I are committed Christians whose first priority is to love and serve our risen Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ. My life story will tell of my journey from abuse to peace. I suffered 22 years of abuse, being constantly told I was totally evil and an ugly freak: no one would ever want me, so I might as well do the world a favour and kill myself.
This entry was posted in CHRISTIAN FOUNDATIONS OF BELIEF, CHRISTIAN LIFE AND THE WORD, CHRISTIAN TEENS BLOGS and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to ARE YOU WORRIED BY A “BIG JOHN”?

I believe I have commented on this post over at your own blog. I will just say here how happy I am to read this wonderfully encouraging post admonishing us to forsake worry! It never moves a single stone of a single mountain–only FAITH does that!

• Yes, this was on my blog 18 months ago, and was re-written for here. Worrying certainly is a useless activity. Donald Barnhouse said that fretting is the caressing of our old nature. It certainly isn’t part of our new nature!

2. admin says:

Thanks for the post. It is a good reminder of how the enemy plays havoc with our mind. We become fearful intimidated when there is no real threat.

3. Rob Barkman says:

Angela, you have hit on the head with me. I am CONSTANTLY fighting Satan using my imagination when I am faced with difficulties.When faced with a difficulty I find myself automatically thinking of the worse case scenario. I then start to worry about what if that most horrible thing takes place. How wonderful it is to be able to go to His Word and see His many promises to us and then give our difficulties to Him and allow Him to work His will.

Lord bless.

• We are our own worst enemy, aren’t we? We concentrate on self and think the worst. It says so much about us when – even after years of having the almighty creator God fight our battles for us – we ‘forget’ to give everything over completely to His hands. If only our focus remained on HIM! Then, there would be NO doubts and NO worries.

He cannot lie! He cannot break His Word! He WILL remain faithful!

What an amazing God!

4. mtsweat says:

What a timely message… for me! I fell prey to a similar story just yesterday. And yes, I was wearing the bus driver’s shoes. I really appreciate the positive conclusion. God grooms us even in our weaknesses… with one purpose, to mold us into a reflection of Jesus. God bless.

• The sad thing is that this is one lesson we have to learn repeatedly. We tend to handle things ourselves instead of handing them over to the only One who CAN handle them effectively. “Each victory will help you one other to win” and we DO learn from each one, and the next time we will yield to Him more quickly.

We are one day closer to the time when there will be no more worries!

We serve a truly amazing God!

5. ptl2010 says:

Big John is easy to remember as he represents a very common fear. I liked this blog so much that I have shared it by email to several church members. A few gave immediate response thanking me for sharing this encouragement with them. Thank you meetinginthecloud for this very relevant blog.