CONTAMINATED?

A preacher was conducting a mission in a mining town and was given a tour through the coal mine. Entering a black, grimy, underground tunnel, he saw some beautiful, shiny, pure-white flowers growing out of the black mine earth.

He was amazed!  How could anything, let alone a flower of such great beauty and purity, live in that black grime? He asked his guide for an explanation.

The guide told him to throw some coal dust on the flower and watch to see what happened. The preacher did so.

As soon as the coal dust hit those snowy-white petals, it slid straight off, leaving no trace of coal dust to mar its beauty. The surface of the petals was so smooth that the grit and grime had nothing to hold on to. The dirtiness that surrounded the plant and tainted its leaves, and everything else in the mine, could not get a grip on the glossy flower petals. The dirt could not cling.

Our hearts are like that flower in some ways.
We live in a grimy, sin-filled world.

Although we purposely avoid all forms of evil, we cannot always control our surroundings.  As long as we live in this world, we cannot avoid contact with possible corruption. We cannot even go shopping without encountering things which would seek to corrupt our eyes, our ears and our minds.

We WILL come into contact with sin, and we will be affected by it
. . . BUT . . .
SIN WILL NOT CLING and it WILL NOT CONTAMINATE
when our lives are completely surrendered to the will of God.

2 Corinthians 5:21 tells us that Christ TOOK our sins in His own Body on the cross and He GAVE us His own righteousness.   When God looks at His adopted, blood-bought children, He does not see our sin, because we are clothed with the righteousness of Christ, and God sees us through Him.

Once our sin is repented of, confessed and forgiven,  it is COMPLETELY GONE.
Sin no longer mars the beauty of the Christ-life within us.

Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow;
though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool
Isaiah 1:18

Oh to be more like that flower in the coal mine!
The VERY MOMENT the coal dust TOUCHES its petals,
it SLIDES RIGHT OFF!

We need a “moment by moment” experience;
that every time temptation knocks at our door,
we immediately submit to Christ, resist the devil
and watch him flee from us.

A word to non-believers.
A life of victory over sin is available to you.  A life of abiding in the presence of God, having Him as your Guide, your Encourager, your Strength, your ever-present Help in all areas of life is available to you.

Does that sound restrictive?  It isn’t.  The life that God offers, through the Lord Jesus, who gave Himself for you, is an ABUNDANT life; a life of peace and joy even in difficult times.

Jesus says to you
I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.
No one comes to the Father, except through Me.

He who comes to Me I will never cast out
John 6:37

Come unto Me all who labour and are heavy laden
and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28

About these ads

About meetingintheclouds

I am Cloudwatcher, a 76 year old Christian lady, happily married to a wonderful man for over 50 years. We have five wonderful sons, all with at least one University degree and in top positions in their chosen fields. One son is still single but four have found perfect wives and they have given us five lovely grandchildren. I was born in England and while I'm proud of my English heritage, I am doubly proud to be a true-blue, fair-dinkum Aussie. My husband and I are committed Christians whose first priority is to love and serve our risen Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ. My life story will tell of my journey from abuse to peace. I suffered 22 years of abuse, being constantly told I was totally evil and an ugly freak: no one would ever want me, so I might as well do the world a favour and kill myself.
This entry was posted in CHRISTIAN FOUNDATIONS OF BELIEF, CHRISTIAN LIFE AND THE WORD, CHRISTIAN TEENS BLOGS and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to CONTAMINATED?

1. Debbie says:

I don’t think I was following you when this was posted, Angela, but with Pastor J’s reblog, I am here now. :) The message was such a good one for me as I’ve been thinking about resisting the devil and temptation recently. Now, just to submit it to Jesus as soon as possible! What a blessing that we can turn to Him just as fast as the temptations arise! Thank you and God bless you!

• Deb, I don’t think you followed (were aware) of my postings here at ChristianBlessings. I think this is one of my favourites of all the Lord has given me. I well remember the first time I discovered that when God forgives, I am *clean* and if I spoke to Him about it later, He would say “My dear child, you are mistaken. I have NO RECORD of that”

What an incredibly amazing God!

2. Reblogged this on Lillie-Put and commented:
    This was such a cool post from Angela I had to share.

3. This is such a good post Angela. May I share it?

4. Rob Barkman says:

I agree with you wholheartedly. It is only when we are totally surrendered to doing His will that we will find that sin will not stick to us. Our natural man acts like a glue to sin… it is only through the new man that we can allow the sin and guilt of this world to slip off of us without getting a grip on us. Great posting! Thanks!

• Amen Rob. The new man – Christ in us – is repulsed by sin. It slides off as we bring the resources of God to the fore. When we submit to Him and resist the temptation, the devil has no option but to flee from the presence of the all-holy God. Any ‘residue’ (e.g. thoughts which lurk in the mind) is quickly brought to our attention by Holy Spirit and dealt with.

What a truly amazing God!

5. ptl2010 says:

“We need a “moment by moment” experience;
    that every time temptation knocks at our door,
    we immediately submit to Christ, resist the devil
    and watch him flee from us.”

It is so easy and it is the enemy’s strategy to lull us into a dull routine, which accepts anything that comes our way, even absorbing what is poisonous to our very soul without thinking. As Christians we need to be proactive in repelling evil influence and evil impact on ourselves.
    2 Corinthians 6:16-17
    16 ” For we are the temple of the living God; even as God said, I will dwell in and with and among them and will walk in and with and among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 17 Therefore“Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you.”

In 2 Corinthians 10:5 we are to ” take every thought captive to obey Christ, ” and we can only do that moment by moment and He will give us the victory. Praise the Lord.

• I love those verses in 2 Corinthians 6. Back in the 1960s they were often the subject of sermons, but I haven’t heard a sermon on those verses for decades. The “separation” message seems to be lost, and yet it is so necessary. We are in the world, and we have to mix with the people in order to gain their confidence and to witness to them, but being separate from their unwholesome activities is essential for our own spiritual health and for our true witness.

6. admin says:

Full surrender to the Lord is the key.

7. Lyn Leahz says:

I like this. I believe in avoiding stuff if you’re able. For example, if I were a man, when I got to the checkout area at the store, I’d purposely look away from the stands….and a woman might want to do the same thing..lustful imagery is lustful imagery. I have known Christian men who have done this. It’s so hard today because everywhere you go, there is sex. I don’t even watch secular television..probably sounds insane, but I don’t care. There’s too much trash on it–sex, violence, homosexuality, etc. I do spend a lot of time watching Christian things on the internet. I stay out of the worlds entertainment as much as possible. I do feel sorry for men today because you can’t drive down the street or even see a toothpaste commercial without seeing a woman half-naked, and on top of that, acting lustful. Do your remember the commercials for Herbal Essences shampoos that showed a woman washing her hair while making sexual sounds, and then they would say, “An organic experience…” This is the type of stuff..and much worse..I’m talking about. A man can’t watch football without seeing women dressed almost as bad as strippers and dancing provocatively. Great article! It’s really hard to be a man and a woman today…women have all of this competition and more insecurity and jealousy than ever before, and men have more temptation before them daily.

• My biggest problem when shopping is the foul language which constantly bombards my ears. I have on several occasions found it necessary to (politely) object to it. Even as a non Christian I found swearing offensive – and in those days it was very mild anyway.

I am an habitual reader and find it almost impossible NOT to read signs, bumper stickers and T shirts – and I too often wish I hadn’t! I am trying NOT to read, but it sometimes happens so quickly. I have used this illustration of the flower in the coal mine to remind me to immediately ask for cleansing.

We serve an amazing God who is ALWAYS there and ALWAYS sustains us.