It Is Well With My Soul

Psalm 29:11

The Lord gives strength to His people; the Lord blesses his people with peace.

It is not too much to say that all real growth in the spiritual life–all victory over temptation, all confidence and peace in the presence of difficulties and dangers, all repose of spirit in times of great disappointment or loss, all habitual communion with God–depend upon the practice of secret prayer.  -Author Unknown

In 1873 Horacio Spafford sent his family ahead of him to Europe, planning to join them later.  But the ship carrying his wife and four daughters never made it to the  U.K.  After a collision with another ship, it sank, and Spafford’s four daughters with it.  His wife survived.  Spafford took a ship to France to meet his wife, and when they passed over the site of the shipwreck, the captain showed him the spot where his daughters lost their lives.  As he stood, weeping, on the bridge of the ship, God led him to write the words to the classic hymn, “It Is Well with My Soul.”

The opening lines still provide comfort today:  “When peace like a river attendeth my way, when sorrow like sea billows roll, whatever my lot Thou hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul.”

Grief and heartache are real.  But even in the middle of tragedy, when we accept God’s will and loving care, we can experience perfect peace.

God, please strengthen my trust in You so that I can rest in Your peace during times of tragedy.  Amen.

About these ads

About Lyn Leahz

I am a Christian author using my gift of writing to glorify Jesus. Please check out book one, Soul Deceiver, in my three part Eternal Soul Series, available through Thomas Nelson-Westbow Press. CLICK HERE My hope is to bring people to repentance through my writing, and to bring those who do not know Him as Lord of their lives to the cross of Jesus Christ. May all be blessed, because there isn't much time left! Jesus Christ is coming soon! "Ready or not! Here I come!" Are you ready? My websites: http://LynLeahz.com, http://VineOfLifeNews.com & http://PromiseBook.net
This entry was posted in A CLICK A BLESSING TODAY, CHRISTIAN FOUNDATIONS OF BELIEF, CHRISTIAN LIFE AND THE WORD, WONDERFUL WORDS OF LIFE and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to It Is Well With My Soul

1. Rob Barkman says:

Wonderful hymn, has always been one of my favorites. Lord bless you.

2. ptl2010 says:

God understands our sorrows…He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not.” Isaiah 53:3 . If only we appreciate what sorrow He went through for us, we would be less inclined to disobey Him and cause added grief to Him. We expect Him to pity us while we go our independent ways. Sorrows are meant to draw us to Him and I pray it will be so because God gives us good gifts and would not add sorrow with it.

• Lyn Leahz says:

Yes, and something we oftentimes don’t think about is that we know we are made in the image of the Lord. The Bible mentions regularly God’s feelings; righteous anger, righteous jealousy, love, etc. I wholeheartedly believe, to this day, God has feelings about all of the rejection He still suffers, the mocking, the scorning, the hatred…and just as His love is unfathomable to our human minds, so is his sadness, grief, and sorrow. I believe every feeling God feels is far beyond anything we can even begin to embrace.

When we’re hurt, He hurts too..but our hurts our not as deep as His, on any level. Just as His sorrows draw Him to help us, even though His help sometimes makes no sense to us..we want coddled but He allows things to happen in order to bring us to repentance because He loves us that much–our sorrows are supposed to draw us closer to Him. If we look at the fact that God made us, every part of us, then we have to understand He knows just what moves us and what doesn’t.

The rules He has set forth were made to protect us. He loves us that much. Like a child you tell not to touch something becuase it will harm them, we touch it anyways and suffer the consequences.

Be warned : the Lord said He will not always chide with men, none of His enemies shall stand in the day of His anger.

• Lyn Leahz says:

I’m in agreement with you there. Never thought any less or any more than that. I am merely stating that we hurt Him all of the time…and in agreement with your comment, if we knew how much we hurt Him we would stop doing it.

3. Ben Nelson says:

Seems we are on the same page today! I just posted this Hymn, then found your post.
    Thanks for sharing the story behind the wonderful words.
    Ben.

• Lyn Leahz says:

I know, I have seen days where several people were writing the same things…and they all made their posts around the same time, and/or were unaffiliated with the other…just those situations where you knew that it was the Holy Spirit moving! Isn’t that something? God bless you Ben, and thank you for your comments!