One of the most interesting areas of Bible study is the area of Bible symbolism. Symbols are used in the Bible to help illustrate many differing Bible doctrines. Symbols are used throughout the Bible, both in the Old and New Testaments, covering most of the major teachings of Scripture.
The symbols of the Bible have come to us by the grace of God. Our Lord understood our need to understand Bible teachings. Because He loved us, has made it easier for each of us to understand these teachings through use of symbolism.
As an example, within the pages of the Scriptures we find the Lord uses everyday objects to help us understand spiritual truths.
Christ used everyday objects to teach the truth about Himself:
John 6:35 – I am the BREAD of Life – By this He was teaching us that we must partake of His work for spiritual life, satisfaction for our spiritual hunger and the basis of our eternal salvation.
John 10:9 – I am the DOOR – By this He is saying that He is the entryway into salvation, which leads to an eternity in God’s presence.
John 15:5 – I am the true VINE – By this symbol He was expressing that He is the source of our strength, our life, and the bearing of our spiritual fruit
In this lesson we will be looking at the symbols that Christ used to help us understand truths about His local churches on earth.
1Tim 3:15 (KJV) – But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
Here is a listing of 10 different items in the NT believers lives that helped them (and us) understand His churches on earth.
- The Salt of the Earth – Matt 5:13
- Preserving influence in the earth
- Flavor, better earthly existence
- The Light of the World – Matt 5:14
- Reveals the Truth
- Removes Darkness
- The Inn – Luke 10:34
- Place to Care and Nurture God’s People Once They Are Saved
- The Flock of God – Acts 20:28
- Led by the Lord
- Fed by the Lord
- Protected by the Lord
- The Body of Christ – 1 Cor 12:27
- Unity of Many Differing Members
- Follows Instructions Given by the Head (Christ)
- Works for Each Others Benefit
- The Temple of the Living God – 2 Cor 6:16
- Lives Within The Church
- Worshipped Within the Church
- Taught Of Him
- The Virgin Bride of Christ – 2 Cor 11:2
- Moral Purity
- Commitment Made Based upon Love
- Submission Given Based upon Reciprocal Love, Respect and Honor
- The Household of God – 1 Tim 3:15
- Where God and His Family Meet Together
- The Pillar and Ground of the Truth – 1 Tim 3:15
- To Support Truth
- To Elevate the Truth
- Candlestick – Rev 1:20
- To Shine Light of Christ To World
- To Possess His Authority Thru Spirit’s Workings
For those who are saved …
The importance of coming to an understanding of Bible doctrine cannot be overemphasized. Our loving heavenly Father has seen fit to make this understanding a bit easier for each of us through the use of many, varied Bible symbols.
For those who have yet to be saved…
The most important Bible truths for anyone to understand are truths about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
In the introductory portion of this blog entry, we find that Christ is declared as the gateway (door) to forgiveness, salvation and an eternity with the Heavenly Father. It is through the application of His work to our lives that we are given salvation from our sins, much like the partaking of bread brings about satisfaction from the spiritual hunger in which we all share. And finally, our source of spiritual life and divine supplies comes from Him also.
Won’t you come to Christ today, realizing He is the only source of forgiveness for your sins and an eternal relationship with the heavenly Father?