Jesus: God or man part two

cown of thorns
Crown of Thorns

Jesus was a man but He was not “created” as some religions wrongly allude to. Jesus was “created” in the sense that He was placed in the womb of Mary by the Holy Spirit, in other words Jesus was made into a human being not from the union of male and female, as is the norm, but by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Some Religions and Atheists as well allude to the so called “fact” that Jesus was created, or born of Mary…that this was His first appearance in creation, that He did not exist prior to this. Of course along with this often comes the statement that Jesus was a great teacher, but He was not God. These assertions are of course false…can this be proven? Yes actually it can.

In the Old Testament God speaks to various people on occasion. Many would say this is God the Father. That cannot be true and here is why.

In John 5:37 Jesus says, “And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form”.

So how can this be? God plainly has spoken to people and has been seen in the Old Testament; so how can Jesus say that no one has ever heard the Father nor seen Him?

1 kings 11:9 The LORD became angry with Solomon because his heart had turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice.

Exodus 33:19 And the LORD said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence.

Exodus 33:20-23 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” 21 Then the LORD said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. 22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.”

In John 5:37 Jesus said no one has ever seen His Father, so this means that the speaker in the Old Testament was Jesus.

Look at the verses above from Exodus 33, in them you will note the word lord is in all caps. Now what does that mean? Whenever we see lord as LORD in the Bible; that is God’s covenant name for Himself, Yahwey, or YHWH.

Screen Shot 2012-11-03 at 12.24.42 PM

The top line of characters is the name Yahwey; the Tetragrammaton in Phoenician (1100 BC to AD 300)
The second line of characters is the Tetragrammaton in Aramaic (10th century BC to 1 BC)
The third line of characters is the Tetragrammaton in Modern Hebrew scripts.

(Exodus 3:1-15) In verse 4 the LORD (YHWH) calls to Moses from the burning bush and informs Moses that he is standing on Holy ground. In verse 6, God identifies Himself as “the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob”. In verse 13 Moses asks God what he is to tell the Israelites when they ask what God’s Name is. In verse 14, God says His name is “I AM” and that Moses is to say that “IAM” has sent him to the Israelites. In verse 15, God again refers to Himself as the LORD, “the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob”. This is important to note because these two verses denote that “I AM” and the “LORD” are one and the same figure (God, Yahwey).

In the New Testament Jesus refers to Himself as “I AM”, John 8:58 “I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”

John 1:18 No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father’s side, has made him known. This could only be referring to Jesus who is at the Father’s (God) side. Then there is John 1:14 which backs up this statement…The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Add to this the fact that the Bible plainly tells us that Jesus created Creation.
(Colossians 1:15-18) (John 1:1-3)

Was Jesus a man, yes He was. Jesus was also God. It may be hard to understand, it is for me anyway, but Jesus really was and is both man and God.

Think on this one, Jesus had to be a man…God cannot die, nor can God sacrifice Himself to pay for our sins. So the eligible sacrifice had to be human, enter the only perfect and therefore qualified human to do this, Jesus Christ.

To disbelieve that Jesus was human is to deny the tenant that a Believer’s faith is built on. We cannot affect our own forgiveness; without a blood sacrifice there would be no forgiveness from God either.

A man broke the law, so a man was needed to keep the law…perfectly. That man by keeping the law to perfection was acceptable in God’s sight as a sacrifice for sin…the last one and the only one truly needed. That man was of course Jesus Christ.

Philippians 2:9-11 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Have you confessed?

About these ads

About πίστις

A prodigal for many years, I eventually found my way back to Jesus through several difficult trials. I write with the hope that I can bless others who have struggled as I have. I seek through Christ to present the truth, and lead others to the cross of Calvary. Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. There is no other. In 2014 Greg Holt founded The Olive Branch Report, a premier Christian news service. Please visit Greg Holt on the web: Inspirational Christian Blogs, & The Olive Branch Report
This entry was posted in CHRISTIAN FOUNDATIONS OF BELIEF, CHRISTIAN LIFE AND THE WORD, SHARING STRUGGLES , Shaping Spiritual Solutions! and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Jesus: God or man part two

1. ptl2010 says:

Jesus was God. He saw man had no hope. He became a man and man’s hope forever.
    The man Christ Jesus, died on the cross to pay the penalty of our sins for He was the only righteous One, so that we might have hope. As He robbed death of its sting, so we have life because He resurrected and is today interceding for us as He sits on the right hand of the Father, interceding for His own.
    This is our God – Man, Jesus Christ. No one ever loved or cared for us like He did and does. Praise the Lord!

• writinggomer says:

Man had no hope from day one, because the ability to do wrong was always there, it’s called free will. What truly amazes me is that God knew all this would happen and was still willing to pull our bacon out of the fire if you will.
      Now that is amazing!
      Praise God indeed!

2. sharpword says:

Hi Lyn. I have a thought for you. If you go back to the beginning in Genesis You will see that God made Adam forming him of the earth, then eve from Adams rib, simple and easy right? No but I mean clear as crystal. He formed them by hand. Then Cain and Abel were ‘born’ but they were born after Adam and Eve sinned.So the very first people ever to be ‘born, were in fact born dead in sin and trespass, and that has been the living lot so to speak of every human ever born on the planet except for one, Yeshua, Jesus, savior since. Point being He is the only one ever born without sin, and therefore is the only true live birth ‘ever’ This still boggles my mind but it is so true. Yeshua said we must be born again, because we were simply born of the flesh from our parents, and eternal life comes in being born of the Spirit, in His likeness… Ahhhh Lord this is so amazing, and full of Glory! So the new birth is far more than a confession of faith, it is the power of God to create life from dirt. So simple but so stunning, and so well hidden from scholars and the pretentious.

• Lyn Leahz says:

Did I say something wrong or to lead you to believe that I think something different? I was just commenting on the name of Jesus…because it was interesting…in fact, something interesting I just recently found out. I am a full believer in Jesus Christ, in the Holy Trinity…God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit..in the death and ressurrection of Jesus, salvation… being born into sin…the old man, the new man..old wineskins, and new wineskins..the whole nine yards. I also believe in the Spiritual gifts and I utilize them. God bless you Sharpword! ;-)

• sharpword says:

LOL hahaha no you didn’t say anything wrong at all lol I just wanted to share that, that’s all BTW I’m Hubert oh and i like your new Gravater photo :) God bless you Lyn

• Lyn Leahz says:

Yes, we’ve met before..and you told me you like to be called by your name..but to be honest, I am terrible with names at first..so I will probably forget! Don’t hold it against me ;-) And thank you, btw.

• sharpword says:

lol hey that’s no problem, and you are welcome I’m not much for grudges hugs yes grudges no

• sharpword says:

how do you make that harpy face wink anyway? :)

I’m glad I can make them smile ;)

3. Lyn Leahz says:

Actually, the Jewish spelling and pronuniciation of God is YHVH (YAH VAY) I talk to a lot of Jews, so I recently learned this ‘this’ passed year. Oh, and here’s an interesting one on Jesus’ real Hebrew name:

Jesus is a transliteration into Greek of the Hebrew word, Joshua/Yeshua. The Greeks did not have letters to represent the sounds made in the Hebrew tongue, so Jesus was used instead. In Hebrew, Jesus name is Yeshua, spelled:

His very name stems from the Hebrew word, יָשַׁע – Pronounced Yasha, meaning: Water from God.

Yeshua is the water of God’s salvation. His very name means, “Savior,”

“Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.” (Isaiah 7:14 ESV)

• writinggomer says:

Yes, I used the Roman transliteration of YHVH…(Yod Heh Vav Heh) Clever girl you are Lyn. Thanks for reading and commenting!

• Lyn Leahz says:

LOL Hey, I’m not that clever because I recently found out! I saw it spelled that way on Micha’el Ben David’s site…they guy whose videos I have all over the place..the Jewish Singer… anyway, I was emailing back and forth with him (we still do from time to time..in fact, talked to him a few times today via email) and I was telling him he had a mistake on his website..the YHVH thing! LOL!!!! He is the one who told me. Then I was doing some reading about it and found out a little more. All ways are correct..but the YHVH is the Hebrew spelling. Yahweh, YHWH, and YHVH are all three right.

• Lyn Leahz says:

And look here..I even made some typos…typing too fast…not that clever… ;-) But thank you! ha ha!