A set of anonymous sermon notes I discovered lays out God’s saving plan in seven points.
1. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.” John 1:1-2 (NASB)
2. “And this is the judgment, that light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their deeds were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light lest his deeds be exposed.” John 3:19-20 (NASB)
3. “And the LORD descended in the cloud and stood there with (Moses) as he called upon the name of the LORD. Then the LORD passed by in front of him and proclaimed, ‘The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth, . . .He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished.'” Exodus 34:5-7 (NASB)
4. “And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. John (the Baptist) bore witness of Him, and cried out, saying, ‘He who comes after me has a higher rank than I, for He exalted me.'” John 1:14-15 (NASB)
5. “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. . . .I am the good shepherd; and I know My own, and My own know Me, even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.” John 3:16 and 10:14-15 (NASB)
6. “Jesus said to (Martha), ‘I am the resurrection and the life, he who believes in Me shall live even though he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?'” John 11:25-26 (NASB)
7. “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born not of blood, not of the will of man, but of God.” John 1:12-13 (NASB)
The promise of John 3:16 is universal to everyone, just as oxygen is there for everyone to breathe. But just as I must take in oxygen in order for my body processes to be activated, so must I receive Jesus’ redemption from damnation and into salvation for my spiritual processes to be activated.
“As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God.”