This blog begins the series – Only You Can Change me .
The Awesome Holy Spirit
Jesus Christ is cultivating spiritual “fruit” in the lives of His disciples through the power of the Holy Spirit. To understand that miraculous work, we must first understand the awesome cause and ultimate source—the Holy Spirit of God.
The world is power crazy.
Peoplepower – they overthrow established governments!
Car power – they no longer are satisfied with petrol.
IT power – they are talking about cyber filing that you access from anywhere in the world. A man in the USA recently watched his wife birthing their daughter by SKYPE.
Political, economic and military power – all imposing change on people’s lives.
Physical and mental powers – with genetic DNA and other medical research.
Spiritual power – transcend human physical abilities, the mind and into the supernatural to the good or danger of everyone involved. .
Tragically, however, most people search for power in the wrong places – unleashing inner psychic power, tapping into mysterious “universal energy” even turning to outright spiritism.
So desperate are people in their search that they are confused with countless false religions, non-Christian or counterfeit Christian, ancient “ism” or some New Age philosophy and even a cafeteria approach like Bahai is acceptable.
As Christians we believe there can be no rest in the search for this spiritual power until we receive the Holy Spirit into our lives. The force He offers that can govern our lives
– provide wisdom and discernment to face our problems
– lead us to real peace
It is the fuel of spiritual transformation and it is so important for those who receive the Holy Spirit, “For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.Galatians:6:8, to sow to the spirit. Yes, we need the Holy Spirit in order to harvest souls for the Lord.
It is exciting to understand the reality of the Holy Spirit and how God works in our lives.
1. In our natural birth we are born in sin and to die. Spiritual life is not something we are naturally born with for sin took that gift from our forefathers down to us. As a second chance, it can only be received as a divine gift from God after one believes the Truth, Jesus Christ, and repents of his sins, is forgiven of sins and saved from its penalty of death “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call. ” Acts 2:38,39
2. It is at the second birth that the Holy Spirit imbues the one who has accepted the Truth and is forgiven, to produce the fruit of the Spirit. Romans:8:9.” But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.”
In the Bible, God’s Spirit is compared with water (that one is “baptized with”), rivers (that “flow”), oil (that is “poured out”), a cloud (that “filled” the temple) and fire (that one can “quench” or “stir up” to rekindle).
3. God’s Spirit emanates from Him
4. God’s Spirit is Omniscient. We can get perfect “reception” from God no matter where we are. David wrote: “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?” (Psalm:139:7).
5. It is by His Word He created the heavens and the earth.
He used the power of “the Spirit of God” (Genesis:1:1-2). After praising God’s creation, the psalmist wrote, “You send forth Your Spirit, they are created; and You renew the face of the earth” (Psalm:104:30). Since creation, God has used His Spirit to sustain and maintain the universe—everything from the largest galaxies to the smallest subatomic particles. All creation functions perfectly according to the laws of nature—which God put in force and keeps in force.
6. God disseminates knowledge by His Spirit, and His Spirit brings Him awareness of all things. “You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off . . . For there is not a word on my tongue, but behold, O Lord, You know it altogether” (Psalm:139:2-4). Thus, by His Spirit God is omniscient, which means He has total knowledge!
7. God is Omnipotent—having universal and unlimited power! He is El Shaddai —God Almighty. Therefore, “with God, all things are possible” (Mark:10:27), whether it is parting the Red Sea, changing water to wine, healing the sick or resurrecting the dead. With every miracle, God is using the infinite power of His Spirit.
Perhaps the most far-reaching miracle was the incarnation of God when the Father sent His Spirit to impregnate a young virgin named Mary (Matthew:1:18, 20). That was Jesus Christ’s first coming.
The next great appearance in glory and power in His story will be His second coming!
And as we await the second coming, it is only with He in us, we will bear spiritual fruit to His glory.
To be continued in next instalment of Only You can change me – The greatest ongoing miracle (2)