Burning Our Bulls

Ever wonder what happened to Elisha’s past life after he was called to follow in the footsteps of Elijah? Wonder no more, it’s documented in the Bible.

Elisha is in the field doing what he does best… plowing. Elijah approaches and throws his mantle on him. Whatever this strange behavior can be taken for by our generation, for Elisha, he knew exactly what to do next.

Elisha takes his yoke of oxen, slaughters, cooks, and feeds them to the people of his town. Guess how he kindled the fire and cooked the oxen? Yeah, with the wood from his plows. Past life… gone. And Elisha followed Elijah. 1 Kings 19: 19-21

Want to hear a more modern version of this story? Fast forward to a day when Matthew was making a really good living as a tax collector. Jesus approaches him and simply says, “Follow Me.” Know what the Bible says next? Yeah… you know.

“So he left all, rose up, and followed Him.” Luke 5:28

And us… what about us? What about those of us who live thousands of years beyond the lives of Elisha and Matthew? Maybe we can find our right response in the words of Paul to the believers of the Philippian congregation.

“Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead. I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:12-14

About mtsweat

This entry was posted in CHRISTIAN LIFE AND THE WORD and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Burning Our Bulls

1. lambskinny says:

Putting what is behind BEHIND, and straining FORWARD to what lies AHEAD! — thanks, M.T. God bless, Carley

2. mtsweat says:

So very true. Thanks you friend and God bless.

3. And, once we have left all behind, we still have to learn to walk out in this new place we have been called to, which is a challenge in itself. But, like you said, we press on. Good post, friend!

4. mtsweat says:

Amen to that my good friend. And we press on. God bless.

5. ptl2010 says:

Thank God the shame of the past is cleansed and there is therefore no more condemnation to us who are in Christ Jesus. Thank God we look forward in hope because the Son has set us free and changes us from glory to glory as we trust and obey to be in His likeness till we see Him face to face.
    Thanks MT it is great to know that we have the victory over the past in Christ Jesus.

6. mtsweat says:

Thanks for reading Pat. Sometimes, for me, just when it seems I’ve done a fairly good job of forgetting what’s behind, my eyes are opened to a whole herd still needing put to death. Praise the Lord for our Savior, Jesus, who took care of them all at Calvary. Now to continue working out this salvation that He is working within. God bless friend.

7. Pat Momary says:

Talk about a double whammy, MT, your blog is just the frosting on my cookie/Bible Study lesson for tomorrow! The scripture quote is our memory work…I have already begun to take baby steps towards “burning my bulls, plows, etc.”, hoping to do a better job of “following Him”. Thanks for this little impetus…Blessings, Pat Momary