“See then that you walk circumspectly not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time because the days are evil [Ephesians 5: 15-16].
Definition – To walk circumspectly means to live wisely, morally and cautiously.
1. Move under the unction and power of the Holy Ghost
Our lives ought not to be in any way, shape or form, like that of the world.
– our Christian life should be one of simplicity, soberness, faith, and praise.
– our obedience to God’s commandment ought to be evident in our behaviors and relationships.
2. Redeem the time we spend on this earth
– Making the most profitable use of our time demonstrates to an unbelieving world our commitment to fulfill God’s purpose for us.
3. We live as vessels of honor.
– to be wise and abstain from evil at all times. Galatians 1: 3-4 reads, “Grace to you and peace from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for our sins that He might deliver us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father.”
– study God’s Word and continue to seek His will for our lives.
– awakened spiritually in order to respond to the needs of the people among us and ensure that our ministry is effective.
We are called to live “peculiar” lives, guided and directed by God because we have
– been blessed to be representatives of a living and powerful God
-we must be awake to every opportunity to demonstrate through the way we live that God is alive and present.
God is here and inviting the world into relationship with Him through Jesus Christ. A church that is asleep is insensitive to the many ways in which they can respond to the spiritual needs of those within and without the church.
4. Everyday is a new opportunity to live life in a way that glorifies God. Walking circumspectly captures the concept. A person who walks circumspectly is one who is
– careful, prudent, watchful,
– tries to avoid error or danger. Paul reiterated the message
when he wrote to the Colossians, “Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.”
– Let your speech be always seasoned with grace,
that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man” [Colossians. 4: 4-5].
Our circumspect walk in the world, on the job, in church, and at home, may be the very reason others are compelled to come to Christ seeking salvation.
As long as the Spirit of God controls our lives, we can manifest the fruit of the Spirit; love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. Walking circumspectly allows the life and the light of Christ to reflect through us.
We are not of the world. Therefore, we ought to walk circumspectly in the world.
We must redeem the time and diligently live according to the Word of God. Scripture says that we are “living epistles.” We may be the only epistle or word of God that some in the world read. How we conduct our lives, react to situations, and how we speak to others determines the kind of epistle we will be! The Lord will not share His glory so do not try to steal it from Him by man’s vain imaginations of design or purpose, when you serve Him.
(Useful Notes I found from a message I heard some years ago – it is a timely reminder to me today. May it be a blessing to you today)