Free from the Stronghold of Bitterness
written by Pola Muzyka
Bitterness has its beginnings in offense or jealousy. Arrogance, envy, hate, gossip, and pride stand at its side. When unforgiveness is invited in, it takes root.
Bitterness can spread like a fire.
That’s when the poison from bitterness builds a stronghold and causes disease. The disease causes pain in the person or persons harboring, aiding, or sheltering the bitterness. Bitterness separates us from God and blocks healing.
Besides attacking our bodies, bitterness can spread its roots far and wide throughout families, communities, sects, races, and nations, and continue to move forward until it’s stopped.
Forgiveness can push bitterness out and begin the healing process of many diseases and problem areas. So the first remedy for any painful disease should be forgiveness.
Bitterness can cause disease.
5 Biblical tips to overcome bitterness:
1. Get rid of all envy. Wicked people will not enter into God’s rest. There is no justification for envy or bitterness. It will only hurt you.
Psalm 73:2-3 2But my feet had almost stumbled. They had almost slipped 3because I was envious of arrogant people when I saw the prosperity that wicked people enjoy.
Psalm 73:21-22 21When my heart was filled with bitterness and my mind was seized with envy,22I was stupid, and I did not understand. I was like a dumb animal in your presence.
2. Keep your thoughts free from compromise. Think of the good God has given you and the good he has already done for you. Cultivate gratitude. Otherwise you will not be free from evil.
Acts 8:22-23 22 So change your wicked thoughts, and ask the Lord if he will forgive you for thinking like this. 23I can see that you are bitter with jealousy and wrapped up in your evil ways.”
3. Refrain from comparing yourself to others. This can incite you to become bitter.
Ruth 1:13 13would you wait until they grew up and stay single just for them? No, my daughters. My bitterness is much worse than yours because the Lord has sent me so much trouble.”
4. Try to believe the best of every person. This will lessen a penchant for bitterness.
1 Corinthians 13:7Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening].
Ephesians 4:31-32 Get rid of your bitterness, hot tempers, anger, loud quarreling, cursing, and hatred. 32Be kind to each other, sympathetic, forgiving each other as God has forgiven you through Christ.
5. Forgive and be kind. Forgiveness is the quickest route to healing. Some people never forgive — these people will never be forgiven by God. Some people wait until it’s too late and disease has already harmed them. Forgive now, before another hour has passed.
Hebrews 12:15 Make sure that everyone has kindness from God so that bitterness doesn’t take root and grow up to cause trouble that corrupts many of you.
Pingback: Fruit Born of Bitter Roots | The Nahmias Cipher Report
Steps 3 and 4 are the ones I find most helpful here today. This is a magnificently help post in breaking the bonds of bitterness!