The smell of rain
Her husband, David , held her hand as they braced themselves for the latest news.
That afternoon of March 10, 1991, complications had forced Diana, only 24-weeks pregnant, to undergo an emergency Cesarean to deliver couple’s new daughter, Dana Lu Blessing.
At 12 inches long and weighing only one pound nine ounces, they already knew she was perilously premature.
Still, the doctor’s soft words dropped like bombs.
‘I don’t think she’s going to make it,’ he said, as kindly as he could.
‘There’s only a 10-percent chance she will live through the night, and even then, if by some slim chance she does make it, her future could be a very cruel one’�
Numb with disbelief, David and Diana listened as the doctor described the devastating problems Dana would likely face if she survived.
She would never walk, she would never talk, she would probably be blind, and she would certainly be prone to other catastrophic conditions from cerebral palsy to�complete mental retardation, and on and on.
But as those first days passed, a new agony set in for David and Diana. Because Dana ‘s underdeveloped nervous system was essentially ‘raw’, the lightest kiss or caress only intensified her discomfort, so they couldn’t even cradle their tiny baby girl against their chests to offer the strength of their love.
There was never a moment when Dana suddenly grew stronger.
But as the weeks went by, she did slowly gain an ounce of weight here and an ounce of strength there.
At last, when Dana turned two months old. her parents were able to hold her in their arms for the very first time.
And two months later, though doctors continued to gently but grimly warn that her chances of surviving, much less living any kind of normal life, were next to zero, Dana went home from the hospital, just as her mother had predicted.
One blistering afternoon in the summer of 1996 near her home in Irving , Texas , Dana was sitting in her mother’s lap in the bleachers of a local ball park where her brother Dustin’s baseball team was practicing.
As always, Dana was chattering nonstop with her mother and several other adults sitting nearby, when she suddenly fell silent. Hugging her arms across her chest, little Dana asked, ‘Do you smell that?’
Smelling the air and detecting the approach of a thunderstorm, Diana replied, ‘Yes, it smells like rain.’
Dana closed her eyes and again asked, ‘Do you smell that?’
Once again, her mother replied, ‘Yes, I think we’re about to get wet. It smells like rain.’
Still caught in the moment, Dana shook her head, patted her thin shoulders with her small hands and loudly announced,
‘No, it smells like Him.
It smells like God when you lay your head on His chest.’
Before the rains came, her daughter’s words confirmed what Diana and all the members of the extended Blessing family had known, at least in their hearts, all along.
During those long days and nights of her first two months of her life, when her nerves were too sensitive for them to touch her, God was holding Dana on His chest and it is His loving scent that she remembers so well.
‘I can do all things in Him who strengthens me.’
This morning when the Lord opened a window to Heaven, He saw me, and He asked: ‘My child, what is your greatest wish for today?’ I responded:
‘Lord please, take care of the person who is reading this message, their family and their special friends. They deserve it and I love them very much’ The love of God is like the ocean, you can see its beginning, but not its end..
- Cerebral Palsy State Resource Guides Now Available (prweb.com)
- Birth Injuries from Medical Malpractice Can Create a Lifetime of Financial and Emotional Challenges for Victims and Their Families (prweb.com)
- Get on the Bus: Dr. Stephen Dantzig Releases ‘Get Up, Your Bus Is Here’ Living MY Life With Cerebral Palsy as an eBook; Charities Can Benefit Too (prweb.com)
- Off-Label Botox Use Could Cost Allergan $60 Million (bellasugar.com)
- 9-Year-Old Boy’s Shrinking Brain Disorder Baffles Doctors (scientificamerican.com)
- What Color Lipstick Do You Prefer on Dana Delany? (bellasugar.com)
- How Tall is Dana Wilkey Height and Weight (celebrityheightandweight.com)
- Dana Tanamachi Chalks One Up…. (thissydneylife.wordpress.com)
- Dana White: Rampage’s Last UFC Fight Will Be Against Shogun (mmaggregate.wordpress.com)
- Anderson Silva And Dana White Battle Over Idea Of Teammates Fighting Each Other (mmaggregate.wordpress.com)
- Choose Me – Chapter One (zmelia.wordpress.com)
- Oakland, Berkeley and Piedmont Real Estate Agent Dana Cohen Named Top Producer for the Piedmont/Oakland Office of The Grubb Company for 2011 (prweb.com)
- Husband of CNN Contributor Dana Loesch Calls CNN Host Soledad O’Brien ‘Anti-Semitic’ (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Be Content With What you have (kbhall.wordpress.com)
- Jeremy Lin Asks His Followers Not to Forsake Him in These Rocky Knicks Times and Quotes Scripture for Strength (tweeterreporter.com)
- If You Really Knew Me (joyinthestorms.wordpress.com)
- The Abandoned An’ Forsaked – Johnny Married Alicia? (goodcomics.comicbookresources.com)
- Assemblyman Who Blocked MMA Legalization In New York (And Once Spoke In A Cerebral Palsy Voice) To Step Down [Video] (deadspin.com)