He was caught cheating in school examinations and was expelled from school. Sending him for counselling was not enough as he had influenced others and was involved in bullying, stealing and lastly, murder for a cheap thrill. He had not received the cane experience at home nor in school. No one taught him, no one cared, no one loved him. The cane was not enough, the law was meted out for his punishment and discipline and it was severe. During that hardship he heard the still small voice of the Lord .. the loving call from the Lord brought a change that turned his life around…it was love that finally covered his multitude of sins.
“He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes” (Proverbs 13:24) and “Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell.” (Proverbs 23:13-14)
Child of God you do not want to be unloved. If you want love, you will have to accept the cane experience Ouch! that is what the Word teaches for those who disobey or require discipline. So do not complain for you know that you are in error when that happens.
The Word of God specifies what the Lord requires of us…and if we do not obey He has to teach us to obey because it will not come naturally as naturally we are prone to disobey.
So how do we avoid being punished or disciplined? The Word teaches us :
In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths.
Sometimes it is difficult to acknowledge especially when our ego stands in the way and we want to claim His credit. Sometimes it is our forgetfulness and focus on things unspiritual so that we find ourselves in comfortable environment that does not welcome Him but popular with the worldly crowd. In that company we are prone to follow doing wrong rather than lead in doing right.
Sometimes we follow unconsciously because it is the path of least resistance – afraid of ridicule for our simple minded faith, believing in a “myth”, and we know that if we are in midstream, it is so much easier to go with the flow downstream than against the flow upstream.
The Lord, because He loves us, does not allow us to drift with the enemy or the crowd who are his followers. The Lord wants us to be close to Him for He loves our worship, our fellowship, trust and obedience. He made us to glorify Him. He wants us to be like Him in His perfection and the “cane” is a means to an end, an important end for the child of God.
So when we are caught in a painful situation for rebuke or discipline, let us
– be humble before the Lord, acknowledging our distraction and wrong-doing
– confess our sins and repent, seeking His forgiveness
– learn what the Word says and from that learning, remember not to repeat it, and we are promised a contrite heart He will not reject.
– pray for strength not to yield to temptation in the future and dig into the Word so that we do not sin unwittingly by sins of commission and ommision.
– keep in the company of God’s children and not the children of the enemy so we provoke one another to faith, obedience and trust and being good followers of His Voice
– avoid spending time in the company of unbelievers, although we cannot become huddle groups of God’s children to the exclusion of those who are non-believers, else how would the non-believers hear the gospel?
– be aggressive in following hard the principles and values and heart attitudes taught by the Word and inspired by His Holy Spirit. To be passive opens one to the enemy’s attack for there is nothing like a stationery target to attack and kill as compared to a moving target.
Child of God let us pause, take a reincheck…do we deserve a painful cane treatment or are we well on our way to heaven on the victory side over things that bind and would keep us, distract us from heaven?
You know yourself – do you need a caning or a “well done” encouragement ?
The Lord has not given up on you. He loves YOU!