Written by Christian author, Pola Muzyka
One of the most alluring strongholds we will ever face is gossip. We eagerly lend an ear to hear the latest story about our neighbor, our friend, family, political figure, entertainer, or someone we might not even know. What is it that allures us into listening and eventually contributing?
This stronghold is subtle and deceptive. In order to be set free from it, we have to recognize it in our lives and consciously make a decision to end it. The follow-through is the most difficult part. But in order to be free from demonic strongholds in all respects, gossip needs to go. The follow-through is vital. God hates gossip.
Gossip endangers lives and can even be a root cause of hate crimes, family or friend separations, and even war. If we participate in gossip we might be the cause of someone’s death. To participate in gossip is participating in verbal abuse and slander. This is abuse of the worst kind. In this case the victim cannot defend themselves.
There is hope.
1. Real friends keep secrets.Keep your friend’s confidence in you confidential. Do not spread what you have been told in secret.
Proverbs 11:13″13Whoever gossips gives away secrets, but whoever is trustworthy in spirit can keep a secret.”
2. Gossip destroys friendships. When we carry a message told to us in confidence we are betraying the trust of the person who confided in us.
Proverbs 16:28 “28A devious person spreads quarrels. A gossip separates the closest of friends.”
3. Don’t add fuel to the fire. There will be rumors and gossip in your life. But you don’t have to become part of it.
Proverbs 26:20″ 20Without wood a fire goes out, and without gossip a quarrel dies down.”
4. Speak Up. Defend yourself from participating in gossip. In order to keep gossip or rumors out of your life speak up. Let the gossiper know that you won’t participate.
Psalm 41:6 When one of them comes to visit me, he speaks foolishly. His heart collects gossip. Then he leaves to tell others.
Proverbs 20:19 Whoever goes around as a gossip tells secrets. Do not associate with a person whose mouth is always open.
5. Speak well of others or not at all. If participation is unavoidable and the gossip about someone else is bad, cruel, or hateful, think of the good about that same person before you speak. Remember, they can’t defend themselves and what you hear might be distorted or not true.
Luke 6:31 Do to others as you would like them to do to you.
Matthew 12:36-37 36“I can guarantee that on judgment day people will have to give an account of every careless word they say. 37By your words you will be declared innocent, or by your words you will be declared guilty.”
1 Peter 3:8 Finally, everyone must live in harmony, be sympathetic, love each other, have compassion, and be humble.
My Name Is Gossip. I have no respect for justice. I maim without killing. I break hearts and ruin lives. I am cunning and malicious and gather strength with age.
The more I am quoted the more I am believed. I flourish at every level of society. My victims are helpless. They cannot protect themselves against me because I have no name and no face.
To track me down is impossible. The harder you try, the more elusive I become. I am nobody’s friend. Once I tarnish a reputation, it is never the same. I topple governments and ruin marriages. I ruin careers and cause sleepless nights, heartache and indigestion. I spawn suspicion and generate grief.
I make innocent people cry in their pillows. Even my name hisses.
I AM CALLED GOSSIP