I See Him in the Clouds!

Being intentionally neglectful of the ridiculous date-setters of every generation, is there a cause (biblical evidence) to live every second of our lives (as believers in Christ) as though Jesus could return at any moment?

I’m taught repeatedly that the Apostles believed this. But did they?

Peter, encouraging those who had received a faith like his, warned of scoffers who would write Jesus’ return off as foolishness. They would mock, “You keep saying He’s coming again… it’s been a long time, where is He (2 Peter 3)?” But…

Did Peter believe Jesus would return in his lifetime? Did he live every minute with one eye lifted toward the clouds? I really don’t see how, unless he somehow had forgotten his conversation with Jesus by the waterfront (I’m pretty confident he didn’t). Jesus assured Peter that he would grow old and die a martyr’s death (John 21:18). Peter as much as tells us that thousands of years could pass before his Lord returns.

What about Paul? Did he anticipate a parting of the clouds coming with every step into the mission field he was assigned to? Obviously not, considering his words to the Thessalonian church. He warned them not to be to anxious, for the great apostasy and the man of sin must be revealed before Jesus would return (2 Thessalonians 2).

At this moment, I’m sure you’re expecting me to take a path of chosen eschatology (end times). Nothing could be further from the truth. Instead, I’m exclaiming my amazement of these men and others for their ministry when they admittedly confess they did not expect Jesus to return in their lifetimes.

They literally gave their lives for the gospel of Jesus Christ when they knew His return was distant!

What does this have to say for us? Every Christian I know says they believe Jesus could return at any moment. Regardless of their end-times belief, they tell me there is nothing holding Jesus back from His second coming.

The natural assumption is that every person who believes this would be urgently involved in the forwarding of the gospel. We are commanded to ensure the good news is spread to every crack and crevice of the world! If Jesus could return at any moment, there is no time to be concerned with the comforts and cares of this world.

I guess I’m writing this post to ask myself if I really believe Jesus is coming again… or is it just something I say because it sounds really churchy?

In regard to how Peter and Paul lived their lives in view of the second coming of Christ, it was really a moot point. Don’t get me wrong… they were encouraged and encouraged others with the message, but that’s not what led them to die for their faith. They understood the gospel… and they understood the Great Commission!

They grasped the work of Christ. Paul would consider himself indebted to humanity to share the gospel because God had so mercifully and gracefully given its life-changing power to him.

If Jesus returns before I click the publish button, what will He find us doing? If God decides for Jesus to tarry for another hundred thousand years, how will our lives impact the world generations from now? These are very important questions we all need to consider.

Advertisements

About mtsweat

This entry was posted in CHRISTIAN LIFE AND THE WORD and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to I See Him in the Clouds!

1. Pingback: Peter Warns Me… but do I Listen? | Resting in His Grace

2. internet elias says:

Reblogged this on Internet Elias's Blog and commented:
    Reblog of this post is not an endoresement of the website but is the simple sharing of an inspiring post.

3. lambskinny says:

I for one think Jesus is coming again, but I don’t think our eyes belong in the clouds but in the world. Jesus likely will not come until every human being appointed has had the opportunity to hear the good news. And that could be today, or tomorrow, or many many many years from now. Thanks for this, Michael. Very good points. Blessings! Carley

4. I believe, as apparently did most Christians throughout the centuries since Christ’s proclamation that He would return, that it could happen at any moment. However, we must also note that He said “Occupy till I come”.

So while I look for His coming, I ‘occupy’ and follow as closely as possible the way He leads me day by day, moment by moment (yes, of course I often fail to follow as I should, but it is my desire to do so)

I am reminded of the words found in the diary of Jim Elliot, murdered missionary to the Auca Indians:
    “So live, that when you come to die, you have nothing left to do, but die” (and I add “or until He comes”)

5. Mike:

When we review history, the end times have been upon us since the times of the Apostles. If we have faith in Christ Jesus, we know they are coming. It that’s true, we know how we are to live our lives.

We ask, what’s taking Him so long? He’s directed us to bring heaven to earth. He’s got to be asking “What’s taking US so long?”

As to the timing, I really like and agree with the approach of my then 6-year-old granddaughter when asked if she was worried about Harold Camping’s end of the world. She first quoted Jesus that “only the Father knows.” She then stated that she was not worried about it. She just wants to be ready when it happens.

Shalom, Art

6. Susan Michaels says:

I’ve been reading a small devotional on the return of the Lord…A compelling and challenging post.

7. remso says:

This topic was part of my conversation tonight. I mentioned to one of my brothers, that after being asked a question about end times at work, someone then asks me how much longer I thought we had. I should have made it clear that this should not effect me as much as it will them, but in an effort to be bold I said, “about six months.” This has nothing to do with the Mayan’s, this is just paying attention to what is going on in the world and the United States. I also have a confidence in hearing God’s voice, and the spirit is telling me that he is coming on the horizon.
    I got caught in that date setting nonsense in high school during the late 60’S. Thinking that God was coming I opted for cruise control, and quit trying. Wrong path to take.
    I sort of see us as a candle; a light upon a hill, but as we invest in him, pursue him, and await his coming I believe we burn like torches. I just plan on burning brighter until there is nothing left to burn. At that point I should be home to see him anyway.
    In the service of his majesty, the King
    Ozzie

8. ptl2010 says:

Whisper a prayer in the morning
    Whisper a prayer at noon
    Whisper a prayer in the evening
    To keep your heart in tune.

Jesus may come in the morning
    Jesus may come at noon
    Jesus may come in the evening
    So keep your heart in tune.

Does not matter when He comes as long as we are ready and offer the best that we can to Him in the meantime.

Great thoughts here Mike. We ought to be living like we expect Him to come back if we so believe. Impacting souls for Him and trying to serve others in the way that we live and interact with others. A tall order, but that is what we are called to.
    Thanks for a thought provoking post!