O may we bow in adoration before our triune God and give praise unto Him for Himself as manifested unto us in His three Persons! Let us adore His wisdom, give thanks unto Him for His grace, love Him for His condescension to make Himself known unto us in the Person of His Son. Let us praise His holy name for His Holy Spirit Who was sent to convince us of sin and bring us to Christ. Let us praise Him for seeking us out as lost sinners and saving us by His grace, if indeed He has done this work in our hearts.
How much we should praise the Lord for the gift of His Holy Spirit to us in the salvation He has given us! We owe all that we have to His work in us.
- He is the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, “Abba, father” (Rom. 8:15).
- He is the One Who bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God (Rom. 8:16).
- He is the Spirit of Christ, for He is given by Christ and speaks of Him (I Pet. 1:11).
- He is the Spirit of life, for He is the Communicator of the life of God, the Sustainer of the life of God in us (Rom. 8:2).
- He is the Spirit of Truth, in opposition to everything that is false and untrue (John 14:17).
- He is the Spirit of grace as the Bestower of all the graces of the spiritual life (Zech. 12:10).
- He is the Spirit of power as opposed to all that is weak and inefficient (Acts 1:8).
- He is the Spirit of holiness, therefore He alone can sanctify and make us like Christ in holiness (Rom. 1:4).
The list seems to be endless of the things the Holy Spirit does for us and in us. We are sanctified by Him, moved by Him, kept by Him, filled by Him; we have joy in Him, bear His fruit, sing in Him, pray in Him, rejoice in Him, and our body is His temple.
Therefore, we should not grieve nor quench the Spirit, but be controlled by Him moment by moment; for He is the Father’s and the Son’s Love-Gift to us. We should yield to Him, be filled with Him, be controlled by Him and praise our living God daily for His presence within us.
Without the work of the Third Person of the blessed Trinity we would be lost forever!
- We see the Father electing and sending the Son
- the Son coming and dying to bring us to God
- the Holy Spirit convicting and delivering us from sin.
- The Father giving His Son, the Son giving His life
- the Holy Spirit applying it all; the Father loving us,
- the Son suffering for us, the Holy Spirit quickening us
- the Father chastening us
- the Son helping us
- the Spirit comforting us.
- We have the Father to father us
- the Son’s propitiation to fit us
- the Spirit’s power to furnish us;
- the Father’s promise to cheer us
- the Son’s peace to calm us
- the Spirit’s presence to control us;
- the Father’s grace to save us
- the Son’s grace to strengthen us,
- the Spirit’s grace to sanctify us;
- the Father’s grace to beautify us
- the Sons’ atonement to benefit us
- the Spirit’s life to beam through us;
- the Father’s illumination to teach us
- the Son’s indwelling to triumph over and through us
- the Spirit’s inspiration to throb through our whole being with His love.
So you see, the Scriptures teach that all the Personages of the Godhead are interested in our salvation which our triune God has given us in Christ; for God’s people have been the object of His love from eternity. So we may say it again today: in salvation the Scriptures teach that ALL IS FROM THE FATHER, ALL IS THROUGH THE SON, AND ALL IS APPLIED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT.
We know first, the necessity of the Holy Spirit’s work because we are dead in trespasses and in sin; second, because we lie guilty beneath the mother-sin of unbelief; third, because we must be born again by the Holy Spirit; and fourth, that only by the Holy Spirit can we call Jesus Christ “Lord.”
Let us praise the Lord our Lord, our Triune God, Who planned from the beginning of time, for our good in Him , who gives us life everlasting for His glory.
(Extracts from L. R. Shelton, Jr’s message on The Work of the Holy Spirit in our salvation)