Q4 “why did Jesus come ?”

There are 2 scriptures that particularly refer to the question “why did Jesus come “.

John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy, I came that they may have life and have it to the full”.

1 John 3:8 “… the reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work“.

The common factor in both these scriptures is the work of satan… which Jesus came to destroy so that we can have life in all it’s fullness.

The question for us is this “do we believe He was successful in His mission?”Most Christians would respond – ‘that is a silly question , of course He was successful – He was the Son of God’. I would suggest however that many Christians live as if He wasn’t successful at all.

The reoccurring theme among many believers goes something like this :- 1) My life seems to be a constant battle with satan, sometimes he wins and sometimes I win. 2) I know Jesus came to give me life abundantly, I just hope it starts soon.

Both of these statements are in conflict with scripture, both of these statements imply that Christ was only partially successful and both of these statements are crippling Christians all over the world.

Fact: at the moment when Christ cried out “it is finished” and died, the work of satan was destroyed and the glorious life of heaven became the inheritance of every believer.

Fact: satan can roar, intimidate and attempt to steal your joy and peace – BUT ONLY IF YOU GIVE HIM PERMISSION. If we fix our eyes on Christ and His spectacular work on the cross satan has no power. He is only empowered by our doubts and fears. Fix your eyes a Jesus and you can flick satan off like an annoying bug!!

Fact: Jesus came to give you life – it is a verb in the Greek, it means that He came to give you the energy of heaven, the same divine vitality that was His own source of life while on the earth.

If Jesus was completely successful in His mission, why then do we see Christians who are fearful and lacking lives of joy, peace and victory? The answer is simple; because they are still waiting for Jesus to give them something that they already have.

All of us are given the opportunity to look deeply upon the work that Christ completed on the cross,  we  must choose to believe if He was successful.

Graeme

About mybroom

Married to Angela (very happily), 4 grown-up kids, 3 grandkids. Christian blogger with a focus on "renewing the mind" Building designer by trade, writer by some crazy notion. From near Melbourne, Australia.
This entry was posted in A CLICK A BLESSING TODAY, CHRISTIAN FOUNDATIONS OF BELIEF, CHRISTIAN LIFE AND THE WORD and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Q4 “why did Jesus come ?”

Jesus already gave the gift! Have we fully claimed it?

2. mtsweat says:

Great and challenging words. But then the challenge has already been met and victory secured! We need only find our rest in Him, keep our eyes on Him, and spend our lives for Him. I love the positive influence of your words. We’re not a defeated bunch of people waiting for a winning hand… no, we are more than conquerors in Christ (present tense)! Thanks and God bless.

3. Pingback: Avengers or Overcomers | ChristianBlessings

4. rickroehm says:

Reason why Christ came? Adam fell Christ could restore. God’s plan for man was redemption and salvation of the human soul through the person of Christ. Christ came to take back what the Devil tried to get by deceiving Eve in the garden. The fall of man is why Christ the son of God came…as God promised the serpent in Gen. 3:15… Christ destroyed the works of the Devil. How? He came. Jesus bled, died and rose from the grave to restore what was lost in the Fall. Prophecies of a “suffering Savior” are faith builders. God promised that His righteous servant would justify many…Glad to be among that number. Thank you Australia for the stimulating Blog…that stirs and points men to Christ…our Lord and Savior.

5. “The one who is forgiven much, loveth much”
    When I became a Christian, I so wished that I had been brought up in a Christian family, but it wasn’t long before I was thankful for my Godless first 22 years of life. You see, I had no illusions about what the world offered. It couldn’t entice me anymore and I embraced the wholeness of the abundant new life I received in Christ.

No, that doesn’t mean I don’t get tempted, but I am conscious that satan is a defeated foe and that when I allow Christ-in-me to face him, he flees. I also know that when I fail and allow satan an ‘edge’ my gracious Lord is very quick to draw me back to Himself and is always ready to forgive.

What an amazing God!

• mybroom says:

I don’t remember a time when I didn’t believe in God, but for me a day came when I had to decide if I would stake my whole life on Him. What a difference it has been since. Thanks, G

6. ptl2010 says:

No I dont want to be a yo-yo Christian which pleases the devil most because truly I become a bad witness. I want to be an up and up Christian who is pleasing my Lord and living above the world, going up and up all the time, led by His mighty hand. I can be successful if I focus only on Jesus, not looking to the left or right and back, just going forward and upward. Praise the Lord.
    Thank you for sharing mybroom it is a thought worth thinking about
    Because I am waiting for the great shout
    I hope it will be soon.

• mybroom says:

I have found the only way for me to have a consistent walk with Jesus is to fix my eyes squarely on His magnificent work on the cross. The great shout – what a thrill just thinking about it!! G