How many times you have heard these words, “I really don’t like my boss!”?
Today, maybe you are one of the many workers who detest the management of your boss. Or maybe you are one of those people who have experienced having a boss with an unlikely attitude, and characters you don’t like.
You know, it’s normal. Wherever/whoever you work for, there will only be two forms of bosses you can meet: the good boss or the bad one. And whoever they are in your life today, one reminder: they’re still the boss.
One experience I have had, was having a boss who never believed in God, and oftentimes angry even on the smallest errors. Being a newbie on that company, I didn’t liked my working environment. I felt like a boss should never act like that. But when I have read these Bible verses, my mind was enlightened:
Ephesians 6:5 to 7
Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men:
1 Peter 2:18
Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.
And I, on that time, wasn’t able to show others on what a good servant should be. There was one common line I heard on a Christian radio, that says… “What is the final answer of success? It’s in this: In whatever work we do, God is ultimately our boss.” This is true. If you can see a reflected picture of your work, you can see that it’s not your boss who really sees all of the things you do at work – it’s God.
If you don’t like your boss, there’s one remaining truth that you are there to do your work, and to perform your responsibilities, whether you like the boss or not. Here are simple suggestions you might want to consider:
- Whatever good things you see in your boss, follow it. And for every bad thing, try your best not to do the same.
- Don’t participate in backbiting your boss. The time you join them, you are not pleasing our Boss in heaven, who is God.
- Help your other colleagues to mind their work (and to do best at their work), instead of minding the mistakes of your boss.
- Pray for your work – that God will give you the right attitude and a right heart in every thing that you don’t like about your boss. You know, when we pray, God is faithful to give us favor ( a special favor) in the eyes of our bosses (whether they’re good or bad).
- Be a godly example in the workplace. It’s not all the time that we are on a certain place to work. And the best thing you can leave to your friends, boss and colleagues, is an example which they can follow.
The suggestions are really simple but these can be impossible without asking God to help us. So, what are you waiting for? Why don’t you pause for a while and take this prayer to your heart before you report to work today?
I praise You for Your faithfulness in giving me another day to live. Thank You for this job that You have blessed me with. Forgive me of my sins and teach me to forgive the mistakes and the lapses my workmates might do to me today. Grant to me Your wisdom, to perform the tasks which I am called to do. Bestow on me patience, to persevere on the difficulties I have to face in my work. I humbly ask of You to give me a right heart towards my boss and my colleagues – that I may able to maintain a godly example and reflect Your kindness in all things and at all times. I acknowledge I cannot do these things without Your help. By Your grace, I trust You to fulfill Your purpose in my life today. In the name of Jesus Christ, Your precious Son and my Savior, Amen.