Have you ever stopped and thought about who is God and how great is He? It is a mind boggling endeavor. Being able to identify God and begin to grasp His greatness is almost an impossible task. But, thanks to our God, and Moses his servant, we have both of our questions answered in one short passage of scripture.
In our text, Moses, the leader of the nation ofIsrael, publically declares the identity and greatness of the God of this world, allowing us all to answer the question… “Who is God?”
1) Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.
2) My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:
3) Because I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God.
4) [He is] the Rock, his work [is] perfect: for all his ways [are] judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right [is] he.
- The Contextof this message –
- Deut 31: – Moses hands authority for leadership of Israel to Joshua
- Deut 32:-33: – Moses farewell address to the Israelites
- Deut 34: – Moses dies
- Here in Deut 32: – We have a part of the final message Moses delivers to the Israelites. What did he want to leave with the Jews? The greatness of his God!
- Vs 1- The Importanceof the message – “Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth. “
- Both men and angels, I am calling upon you to listen carefully to what I have to say.
- I “will speak” – to arrange words carefully
- The “words of my mouth” – speech, phrasings
- Vs 2- The Resultsof this message – “My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:”
- “my doctrine” – “the received thing” the truths which I have received through revelation and experience I will now hand down to you.
- “as rain”, “as dew”, “small rain”, “showers” – all speak of gentleness – Through Moses gentle words and sayings great truths would be handed down. They would be truths that would bring about growth, nourishment and increase for all the nation of Israel.
- Vs 3 – The Purposeof this message “Because I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God.”
- “I will publish the name” – To reveal the identity of God
- “ascribe ye greatness” – To explain the greatness of God.
- “LORD” – “Jehovah” – “The Existing One” – Jehovah is the only TRUE GOD. He is the only God that actually exists. Other men may create Gods but Jehovah is the only True God. That is why He told Moses to call Him “I AM”… in other words, “I exist”. (Exodus 3:13-15)
- “God” – “Supreme One, Worshipped One” – This same Jehovah is also described as God by Moses. This teaches us that He is the One who is over all of us. He is Supreme and deserves our worship.
- Vs 4 – The Message – “[He is] the Rock, his work [is] perfect: for all his ways [are] judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right [is] he.”
- “He is the Rock” – Jehovah is the Creator and Sovereign Lord of all. He does nto change. He is the firm foundation upon which everything exists. He can be relied upon for our physical life and needs, our spiritual life and needs, our daily walk with Him, and our eternal existence. He is the refuge to Whom we can run.
- “His work is perfect” – All of His works are without blemish and complete. He leaves nothing undone, He commits no sin, He makes no errors.
- “all His ways are judgment” – His workings among men are always fair, He never mistreats anyone nor does He unfairly favor anyone.
- “a God of truth” – His teachings are actual to fact, He is faithful to His promises, He can be relied upon
- “without iniquity” – He can do no sin. He is not tainted with the filth of sin, He is not dirtied. His nature is pure and untouched by sin
- “just” – He lives by the same set of rules that He Himself sets. He keeps His own laws
- “right” – He is straight, forthright, and honest. He is not shady, sneaky or misleading.
Jehovah is the Only True God. He is the Creator, the Lord, the Redeemer and the Holy One.
You can personally know this same God by simply turning from your sin and coming to Him in faith, trusting Him to forgive you of your sin debt, and grant you eternal life. May the Lord bless you in your search for the True God and a relationship with Him.
1Thess 1:9-10 (KJV) – For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God; And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, [even] Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.