SET ME ON FIRE!

The story goes that a woman was milking her cow by the light from a little lamp of oil. The cow kicked over the lamp. The flame kindled a wisp of hay, and another wisp, and another, until all the hay in the stable was alight and it burned the whole stable. Soon the next building was on fire, and the next, and the next . . . and so started the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.

(Historians agree that the Chicago Fire did indeed start in the small barn of Patrick and Catherine O’Leary, that bordered the alley behind 137 DeKoven Street on Sunday evening, October 8, 1871, but there is no evidence that a cow kicked over an oil lamp)

There is no doubt of the damage caused.  Soon the fire had spread to neighbouring houses and sheds. Superheated winds drove flaming brands northeastward.  As the fire raged through the central business district, it destroyed hotels, department stores, Chicago’s City Hall, the opera house and theatres, churches and printing plants. The fire continued spreading northward, driving fleeing residents across bridges on the Chicago River. There was mass panic as the blaze jumped the river’s main stem and continued burning through homes and mansions on the city’s north side.

From its origin at the O’Leary property, it had burned a path of nearly complete destruction of some 34 blocks.   Eventually the city determined that the fire destroyed an area about four miles (6 km) long and averaging 3/4 mile (1 km) wide, encompassing more than 2,000 acres. Destroyed were more than 73 miles of roads, 120 miles of sidewalk, 2,000 lampposts, 17,500 buildings, and $222 million in property – about a third of the city’s valuation. Of the 300,000 inhabitants, 90,000 were left homeless.

. . .
ONE TINY FLAME

FROM ONE TINY LAMP
HAD LAID CHICAGO IN ASHES!
. . .

Yes, we could pause to think – as James reminds us – that the human tongue can be a fire, a world of iniquity – a tiny thing that can cause immense damage.  We need to guard our tongues because just a few small words can cause irreparable harm to people, to families, to Churches, to groups of all sorts.  For a great coverage of this subject, please see this post by writinggomer at

But today my thoughts run along a different line . . .

God uses small things – and small people.
He hides the wealth of a field of wheat in bags of tiny seeds.
He hides His giant oak trees in little acorns.

Of myself I am nothing. I can achieve nothing.
But God chooses to use the weak things of this world
and He empowers them to do the impossible.

If I allow the fire of God to take hold in me, I might only be a wisp of hay,
but if it sets ME on fire, that fire will communicate itself to another –
and another – and another.
It will burn on and on
and THEN we will see God at work in a world
which is in desperate need
but is turning its back on the only One who can answer that need.

If many of us allow ourselves to be used as a spark,
we may see fires all over the world.
We may see revival!

In Christ, we are more than conquerors.
Surrendered to Him, He could use us to turn our world upside down.

SET ME ON FIRE, LORD!  STIR ME, I PRAY!
WHILE THE WORLD PERISHES, I GO MY WAY,
PURPOSELESS, PASSIONLESS, DAY AFTER DAY –
SET ME ON FIRE, LORD!
USE ME I PRAY!

About meetingintheclouds

I am Cloudwatcher, a 76 year old Christian lady, happily married to a wonderful man for over 50 years. We have five wonderful sons, all with at least one University degree and in top positions in their chosen fields. One son is still single but four have found perfect wives and they have given us five lovely grandchildren. I was born in England and while I'm proud of my English heritage, I am doubly proud to be a true-blue, fair-dinkum Aussie. My husband and I are committed Christians whose first priority is to love and serve our risen Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ. My life story will tell of my journey from abuse to peace. I suffered 22 years of abuse, being constantly told I was totally evil and an ugly freak: no one would ever want me, so I might as well do the world a favour and kill myself.
This entry was posted in CHRISTIAN FOUNDATIONS OF BELIEF, CHRISTIAN LIFE AND THE WORD, CHRISTIAN TEENS BLOGS and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to SET ME ON FIRE!

1. Pingback: SET ME ON FIRE! « Inspirational Christian Blogs

2. mtsweat says:

A great piece (as normal) here, Angela! A little leaven works both ways, doesn’t it good friend? A mustard seed? A small tree that grows so large that the birds of the air rest in its branches? You’ve presented to us a marvelous truth Jesus shared (again and again) about our faith in Him. A couple of fish and a little bit of bread? With God, every small spark is a possibility for a raging fire that can turn the world upside down for Jesus! Blessings

• May we be so conscious of His abiding presence and of His leading and so in tune with Him that our little spark will be used by Him and turned into a raging fire that will ignite others and cause people to see the living Christ while there is still time.
      We are one day closer!

We serve an amazing God!

3. rickroehm says:

I am moved by your Blog about fire from Heaven,
    John the baptist said He baptized with water but Christ would baptize with the Holy Ghost and with fire which in turn would burn up the chaff in the life of man with unquenchable fire. In Acts 19:1-6 these 12 discples of John received the baptism with the Holy Ghost and fire… as told to them by John the Baptist. When the Spirit “came upon them” they spoke with tongues and prophesied. This was Pauls 3rd missionary journey to Ephesus… 19 years after John’s Baptism where these 12 disciples were originally saved during the ministry of John the Baptist. An exalted Jesus was the baptizer from the Throneroom…and the fire of the Holy Ghost burnt up all the “dross” in the lives of these 12 disciples. The tongues and prophecy showed that a resurrected Christ and the power and purity of His Holy Spirit and fire burnt up the old man and controlled every part of the anatomy of these 12. Just more evidence that the Bible is true concerning the fire of the Holy Ghost that purges, refines, and removes the Adamic life from the heart of those saved who are saved…even 19 years after intitial Salvation.

• When the power of the Holy Spirit is seen by the unsaved, they will have no option but to declare that Jesus is Lord and Saviour.

Was it under Charles Finney, that during a revival, people fell to the ground, convicted, confessing their sin, as he walked by?

Set us afire Lord!

4. Rob Barkman says:

My prayer should be Lord, apply the fires to me to purify my walk so then I can be set on fire to serve you in greater ways! Thank you for an awesome posting. It is much needed.

• You hit the nail on the head Rob. We need to be truly purified ourselves, that everything we think, every attitude we show, everything we say and everything we do will reveal the life of Christ within us; that His love, grace and mercy will flow from within us that all will see His greatness and come to accept Him as Saviour and Lord.

Set us afire Lord!

5. admin says:

Yes, one spark creates an inferno with Holy Spirit wind. It is amazing what God does with one person who totally yields and surrenders his will to God’s will.

6. ptl2010 says:

It is awesome that He depends on us to pass it on.

It only takes a spark,
    To get a fire going.
    And soon all those around,
    Can warm up in it’s glowing.

Chorus:
    That’s how it is with God’s love,
    Once you’ve experienced it,
    It’s fresh like spring,
    You want to sing,
    You want to pass it on.

Verse 2
    What a wondrous time is Spring
    When all the trees are budding.
    The birds begin to sing,
    the flowers start their blooming.

Chorus:

Verse 3
    I wish for you my friend
    this happiness that I’ve found
    You can depend on him
    It matters not where you’re bound.

Last chorus:
    I’ll shout it from the mountain tops
    I want the world to know
    The Lord of Life has come to me
    I want to pass it on.

This is awesome Angela! I really like what you have said here. Christ lights a fire within us that we may spread the fire to others through the power of the Holy Spirit. Awesome thought!

God bless
    Greg

• Awesome thought, yes, Greg – but let’s hope we don’t just keep it in our thoughts. We need to put our thoughts to action.
      Our amazing God is always ready but sometimes I am slow to respond.