Armor of God Series: “Belt of Truth”

I’m so excited to start posting here on Mondays. I am starting a series today on the “Armor of God” in Ephesians 6:10-17:

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Today, we’ll focus on the first armor explained: Belt of Truth. In the Bible days men wore robes. When they went to battle they would secure their robes with a belt to avoid getting entangled. We are instructed to fasten on the belt of truth to avoid getting entangled in Satan’s deception.

We can’t stand against Satan’s deception without believing everything in God’s Word is true. Many Christians say they believe the Bible is true. But if you mention verses that challenge their faith, as in Mark 16:17-18, they don’t believe it applies today:

And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.

I may not understand everything about healing, speaking in tongues, or driving out demons. But that doesn’t mean I don’t believe these verses are true and apply to us today. Jesus didn’t instruct us otherwise. We don’t have to understand everything in the Bible to believe it’s true.

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

John 8:31-32, NKJV

If we abide in Jesus’ Word, we will know the truth. As we believe Jesus teachings we will start walking in them. Then we’ll gain an understanding of His truth as we see it manifest in our lives.

…for understanding proverbs and parables, the sayings and riddles of the wise. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge….

Proverbs 1:6-7

To fear the Lord means to live in reverence to Him. Living in reverence means we respect that He knows more than us and we trust in His judgment. We won’t live in reverence to God if we don’t believe Him. Faith has to come first, and then comes sight.

When we don’t stand for the truths in God’s Word, we open the door to deception. Too many Christians today are not standing for God’s Word as complete truth. As a result, Satan has sown many lies within the body of Christ. The Bible warns us that it’s only going to get worse. We need to be on guard so we don’t fall into this deception.

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

2 Timothy 4:3

But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves… having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them. They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth.

2 Timothy 3:1-7

I once asked a Christian editor to edit the first draft of my book: You Can Have a Happy Family. When I got my draft back, I noticed the editor took out any scripture or teaching that was considered “uncomfortable.” I placed everything back in the book according to God’s Word. I refuse to accept what others say over what God says.

I didn’t get where I am today by listening to what I want to hear. I am only able to help others because I listen to what I need to hear. Everything in God’s Word isn’t going to feel warm and fuzzy to our flesh.

The Bible says to put to death whatever belongs to our earthly nature (Colossians 3:5). Putting to death the things of our flesh is painful. God’s Word may be hard on our flesh, but it is life and power to our spirits.

John 6:60-64 says that many of Jesus’ disciples turned back and no longer followed Him because His teachings were hard:

On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?” Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you? What if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. Yet there are some of you who do not believe.”

Let me now remind you, dear brothers and sisters, of the Good News I preached to you before. You welcomed it then, and you still stand firm in it. It is this Good News that saves you if you continue to believe the message I told you—unless, of course, you believed something that was never true in the first place.

1 Corinthians 15:1-2, NLT

Heavenly Father,

We praise You that Your Word is true. Help us to stand firm on Your Word, and break down the lies the enemy’s sown in our minds. Help us not to accept every teaching we hear, and always check it against Your Word. We praise you that as we believe Your Word and strive to live according to it, You will reveal Your truth to us!

In Jesus’ name, Amen!

And the people of Berea were more open-minded than those in Thessalonica, and they listened eagerly to Paul’s message. They searched the Scriptures day after day to see if Paul and Silas were teaching the truth.

Acts 17:11, NLT

About Amanda Beth

I am a wife of seventeen years, mother of four children, and author of “You Can Have a Happy Family: Steps to Enjoying Your Marriage and Children” (2013 Readers’ Favorite Silver Award) and two devotionals: “The LOVE Walk: A 15-Week Devotional on 1 Corinthians 13:4-8” and “Armor of Light: A 7-Week Devotional on Ephesians 6:10-18.” God has done an amazing work in me and my family since He rescued me thirteen years ago. Because of His unfailing love, I am passionate about sharing His love with others. You can learn more about my testimony on my blog (SharingTruths.com) and my website (AmandaBeth.net). "So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised." Hebrews 10:35-36
This entry was posted in A CLICK A BLESSING TODAY, CHRISTIAN FOUNDATIONS OF BELIEF, CHRISTIAN LIFE AND THE WORD, CHRISTIAN TAGALOG BLOGS, CHRISTIAN TEENS BLOGS and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Armor of God Series: “Belt of Truth”

1. Pingback: 121004–George Hach’s Inner Disciplines Journal–Thursday |

2. Rob Barkman says:

Welcome to the CB family, Amanda. I really appreciated your posting and your statement when you said that “We only have two choices in life. We either believe God’s Word and allow Him to transform us, or we believe Satan’s lies and allow him to take us captive to do his will (2 Timothy 2:26). There’s no in between. When we fasten God’s belt of truth firm around our waists, nothing can deceive us.” AMEN! May the Lord bless your ministry. Welcome again

• Amanda Beth says:

Thank you for the warm welcome, Rob, and everyone else!:) The Lord is truly glorified here. It’s a blessing to be here. God bless you all!

3. Pingback: 121003–George Hach’s Inner Disciplines Journal–Wednesday |

4. Hello Amanda. Welcome to ChristianBlessings! I know you will find much help here as well as being a blessing to us and to all who read.

I really appreciate your first blog here. It is so refreshing to hear someone standing on the whole truth of the whole of the Word of God. ALL Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable. Yes, there are some parts that are ‘uncomfortable’ and challenging but when we take them on board, we find they are highly beneficial and the blessings far outweigh any inconvenience.

I look forward to more gems from you.

We serve an amazing God!

• Amanda Beth says:

meetingintheclouds,
      Thank you for the warm welcome. It’s a blessing to read as well as post here. I went by your site and read your testimony. I cried! What an amazing women you are! You should consider turning your testimony into a book. I know many will be blessed by it. May God continue to pour out His blessings on you and your family:)
      God bless,
      Amanda

• Thank you Amanda. It is only by the grace of God that I can write/talk about my early life. I now praise Him for everything that happened to me, because He used it to make me what I am and to give me a ministry to others who have suffered/still suffer from abuse.

I have printed the testimony blogs into a booklet which I give to people I witness to, but I hardly think anyone would be interested in publishing it. I believe if it is God’s will, things will happen. Thank you for the encouragement.
        In Christ
        Angela

5. Pingback: Armor of God Series: “Belt of Truth” | ChristianBlessings – speakingintonguesblogs

6. adopted80 says:

Amanda thank you for the encouraging article, I couldn’t agree more with you. i myself don’t understand all of the Bible but what I do understand is that we believe by Faith in Christ. I love
    Romans 1:17 For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed,a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: ” The righteous willlive by faith.” Tnanks again for your articlle.

God Bless You
    Bart

• Amanda Beth says:

Thank you for sharing Romans 1:17, Bart! We must live by faith, not by sight and our own understanding. God bless you too:)

A warm welcome to you Amanda! Thought you looked familiar, I had *seen* you before on Steve’s site. 🙂
    Great article, agree completely…either you believe the Word of God, all of it, or you do not. One cannot cherry pick the parts that suit us and over look the ones that do not. People like to say that so many things in the bible do not apply anymore, but that would be implying that God did not see the future coming!

Blessings to you
    Greg

• Amanda Beth says:

Great comment, Greg! I completely agree. If God didn’t say it would only apply for a certain time, we shouldn’t assume it doesn’t apply to us today. I am doing a study by Beth Moore on “Believing God.” One of the things she talked about was that we have to trust in His Word and know that we won’t understand everything. His ways and understanding are far beyond ours. When we see Him face to face, we will understand everything clearly. Until then, we have to trust Him, not our own understanding.

“Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.” 1 Corinthians 13:12, NLT

God bless you,
      Amanda

• Lyn Leahz says:

LOL I see you everywhere all over the internet Gomer! Every time I turn around I see you. My goodness, you’d think you were Jesus or something! Are you related, by chance?

8. Steven Sawyer says:

Great to see you here, Amanda. I’m going to enjoy reading your stuff here as well as on your blog. Say hello to Jay for me. Tell him I think about him often.

• Amanda Beth says:

Thanks for introducing me to this site, Steve:) I look forward to reading some of the posts. Blessings to you!

9. ptl2010 says:

Welcome Amanda Beth as a Contrbutor and Author to Christian Blessings. May the Lord’s will be done as you are inspired and are obedient to convey encouragement and teaching to the children of God and the gospel of peace to those who. yet have to believe. May you and your family be blessed as you serve the Lord here. “How lovely on the mountains Are the feet of him (her)who brings good news, Who announces peace And brings good news of happiness, Who announces salvation, And says to Zion, “Your God reigns!”Isaiah 52:7. Amen.

ptl2010

• Amanda Beth says:

Thank you, ptl2010! What a honor to be here. May God speak through everyone of us to reach His children! God bless:)

10. Lyn Leahz says:

Amen dear sister! I stand in agreement with all that you wrote here! Too many today are becoming lukewarm, and giving ear to deception!

It is written, 2 Timothy 4:3-5, “For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.” And, it is also written Revelation 3:15-16, “‘I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.”

• Amanda Beth says:

Thank you for the encouraging comment and sharing these verses, Lyn! I pray we would all stand for the truth in God’s Word. God bless you my sister in Christ:)

• Lyn Leahz says:

You’re welcome. I knew one of the verses you had already quoted, but I just re quoted anyway in a different version just because! 😉 God bless you!