The Book of Revelation is the only book in the Bible that speaks of the 1000 year reign of Christ. The Old Testament doctrine of the Kingdom in Israel where Christ reigns in Zion is taught in the entire Old Testament. Zion is an area near Jerusalem where King David reigned from his Throne. Zion likewise will be the area Christ where will physically reign from His throne, in the Kingdom of Heaven. The 1000 year reign of the Messiah is never mentioned in the Old Testament. The 1000 year reign of Christ is however taught by Saint John in the book of Revelation. To understand why the 1000 year reign of Christ was not taught in the Old Testament… two things must first be established…
First: The rejection of Israel toward the Messiahship of Christ has never ceased in the pages of history. Israel’s rejection first began with the Prophets. It continued during Christ’s earthly ministry. It has continued and will continue through this present Church age up to the Rapture of the Church. Israel’s rejection even continues after the Rapture, and after the seven year Tribulation. How does Israel’s rejection continue after the Great Tribulation? Through the Saints who make it through the Tribulation. These are mortal saints that have a human nature just like us. Tribulation Saints are human beings that accept Christ as the promised Messiah during the Tribulation, but because of their nature they are still continue to reject Christ. Any man without the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit in the soul can falter or reject Christ. Tribulation Saints have not received the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit. Tribulation saints are not glorified saints like those beheaded for the cause of Christ, who would not receive the mark of the Beast. Saints that die in Christ during the Great Tribulation are bodily raised from the grave at the first resurrection.
• Rev 20:6…Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
At the end of the seven year Tribulation glorification occurs in the first resurrection. Glorification deals with those saints who died in Christ during the seven year Tribulation. These saints are bodily resurrected from the graves and glorified with Christ. This is the beginning of the 1000 year reign of Christ in Jerusalem. These saints shall reign with Christ as kings and priests.
Tribulation saints (mortal) are not bodily resurrected or glorified at the end of the Great Tribulation. These mortal saints come through Tribulation without receiving the mark of the beast. These mortal saints have faith in Christ and keep the commandments of God. These from saints from Israel sing the song of deliverance as the children of Israel sang when they were delivered by the hand of God from Pharaoh, through the Red Sea. Included with the Tribulation saints are the 144, 000 from the twelve tribes of Israel. All Tribulation saints will continue living, reproducing, and facing physical death until the 1000 year period has expired.
Tribulation saints are men and women like us who accepted Christ during the seven year Tribulation time frame. Those mortals like men today contend with the Adamic nature that all men are born with. As promised God continues gathering his elect Israel, but! The attitude of rejection that stems from the Adamic nature remains in part of Israel at the beginning of the 1000 year reign; and continues until the 1000 years expire. God’s gathering of Israel likewise continues… until He pours out His Spirit upon all flesh. This outpouring of the Holy Spirit takes place when the 1000 years have expired.
• Joel 2:26-28…And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh;
Second: The land in Israel or what the Bible calls Palestine or Zion… is where Christ reigns on His physical Throne. Zion is not the entire Earth at that time! This Kingdom where Christ reigns is not universal yet!
• Micah 4:2…And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
Why? Redemption from God still exists because the Promised Land is not completely restored…in all the Earth. Mortal beings still exist along with the glorified saints in Jerusalem. On the other hand, Tribulation saints that inhabit the earth are still mortal. Glorified saints are immortal. Therefore redemption from God is still extended to the hearts and souls of those mortals in need of Christ…upon the earth. God’s plan of redemption has always been to Israel first! To them was given the Promises, the Prophets, and the Priesthood.
There will be two types of people in this miniature Kingdom inn Palestine. Both Mortal and immortal people (Tribulation saints and Glorified saints) will exist. Physical Earth that awaits the restoration of all things will still exist. Christ and the saints that return with Him will exist along with mortal saints…that the Bible terms as Tribulation saints.
• Rev 7:14…These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
It must be understood…the Kingdom at the beginning of the 1000 year reign is not a “universal” Kingdom! Why? Many things that pertain to the Kingdom of Heaven on earth have not happened yet. First you have the animal kingdom spoken of in Isaiah is not totally restored. Second you have the land in Israel restored but the whole Earth will be restored until after the 1000 year reign of Christ. Then “all” Earth is restored in the Kingdom of Heaven. Third you have no more rejection from Israel. Forth you have the heathen’s testimony to the entire world that they worship the Messiah in Jerusalem. When the Gentiles worship Christ and bring all the wealth of humanity back to Jerusalem it will be a testimony to God’s elect Israel. As God continues gathering Israel during the 1000 year reign the fact that Gentiles receive Christ as Messiah is another of Gods testimonies to Israel.
The “universal” Kingdom of Heaven on Earth promised by God will be offered to mortal Israel as God continues to gather His elect during the 1000 year reign. Rejection of the Messiahship of Christ will still exist for 1000 years. Rejection in Israel will still exist because of the fallen nature of the human being.
The first coming of the Messiah during the ministry of Christ was a testimony of the Prophets to set up the Kingdom in Israel. Note the 1000 year reign was not the topic in the Old Testament… the Kingdom in Palestine and Messiahship of Christ was. The rejection of the Kingdom message given by Christ in His Earthly ministry allowed the 1000 year reign of the Lord to come into play.
Then, the Church, the body of Christ was birthed because of Israel’s ongoing rejection of a resurrected Lord. Then the Gentiles, who were made one with Israel through the death of Christ on the Cross, would provoke Israel to acceptance of Him rather than rejection. Then the Rapture of the Church became a testimony to Israel about the promised seven year Tribulation to come upon Israel. The Tribulation was taught in the Old Testament. Then Christ returns with the saints from Heaven as a testimony to the Tribulation saints that have faith in the Messiah and keep His commandments.
Rejection still exists in part of mortal Israel because of man’s fallen nature. Rejection will exist in the hearts of all mortal men throughout the 1000 year reign of Christ in Jerusalem. The 1000 year reign allows God to extend Salvation and Mercy to all mortal flesh, especially Israel, until the restoration of all things.
• Isa 65:17-20… For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy. And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying. There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.
Because of human depravity redemption and mercy will always be extended to Israel for 1000 years. This is a result of God’s gathering of Israel from the four corners of the Earth. Then at the end of the 1000 year reign, Final Redemption and Final Judgment will occur after the Great White Throne. The “Universal Kingdom on all the Earth” promised from the foundation of the world will occur. Mortal humanity will cease to exist because all human beings will be glorified. Why? God will pour out His Spirit upon Israel as promised in Ezekiel.
• Ezek 36:24-27…For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
The adamic nature and mortal flesh will be destroyed. All men will be Eternal. Death and the Devil will be destroyed. Time will cease because Eternity will begin on Earth. Through this final redemption the Messiahship of Christ this will promised to Israel will be “accepted”. Rejection in the heart of man will no longer exist. The Bible calls the restoration of all things.
• Acts 3:21… Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things
In final redemption glorification will occur upon the physical make-up of every human being on Earth. All humanity will be glorified like Christ was at His bodily resurrection from the grave. God will pour out His Spirit upon all flesh. Israel’s rejection will no longer exist because man will have no conflict with an Adamic nature or a cursed earth. In this outpouring of the Holy Spirit all earth will be restored…all humanity will be restored including all Gentiles, and all of Israel that accepted Christ. All humanity will be restored to the state of Adam and Eve, before the fall. The animal Kingdom will be restored like it was before the fall. The entire Earth will be restored like Eden was before the fall. Everything will be in harmony with God. The Church in Heaven will come down to Earth. Everything on the planet will be restored!
The 1000 year period mentioned in the Book of Revelation is known as a Latin term called “the Millennium”. The word Millennium is not a Biblical term. The 1000 year reign taught in the Bible was a Revelation spoken by John concerning Gods elect, Israel. The book of Revelation taught that Israel’s rejection did not cease, nor did God’s gathering of His elect Israel, cease until the great and final Day when time ceases. Then Christ pours out His Spirit upon all flesh. God’s mercy and love for Israel is that all Israel would be saved. The last 1000 years concealed in the Old Testament was revealed in the New Testament by Saint John the Revelator. This revelation pertained to God’s gathering and Eternal redemption for Israel.
Israel’s rejection has always been a great tragedy in the Bible, but those tears are turned to joy at that time. Israel’s rejection of the Messiahship plays a huge role in the Bible’s central theme of the Messiahship of Christ. For any student of God’s Word that desires to understand the context of the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth the student must first understand… the rejection of Israel toward Christ’s Messiahship in every Age. Examine what God said to Israel through King David in the Psalms. When Israel finally accepts Christ…and there will be no more rejection in the heart of Israel…The will accept when they say, “Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord”.
Ps 118:21-26… I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation. The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner. This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee, send now prosperity. Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the LORD.
Israel’s rejection will finally cease. Acceptance will be every man’s attitude in the universal Kingdom of Heaven on Earth. This will take place at the end of the 1000 year reign. Final redemption in the hearts of every human being on earth will have occurred! Neither man nor anything on Earth will ever need redemption again. Everything lost at the fall Adam will be restored in the “Universal” Kingdom on Earth. At this time… the Church in Heaven… descends to Earth. Earth thus becomes perfect because everything former …passes away.
• Rev 21:1-4…and I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away