You have a church that is growing, there is a buzz of activity and lives are being touched for Jesus and the news is all about town that something is happening, yes it is happening at your church, in your cell group, among members and in their lives. Then the old serpent puts a proposition to your mind – Why you are succeeding at last, you have worked so hard, the people love you and they are responding to you. They love your preaching and teaching, they enjoy your fellowship, they respect you and will prefer no other preacher to speak, they wish they could be with you all the time, they are giving the mighty $… and so the accolades flow to you and soon very soon, your pride and ego bubble needs to be busted for in the service of the Lord, no one gets the glory except the Lord.
His Word says “without Me you can do nothing“. It is prudent for the servant of the Lord to remember this. Get out of harm’s way for it could lead to entrapment if you do not. Which famous preacher has fallen, waylaid by a charmer? defrauding the church to have the glitter of the world to pander the ego further, and to be more outstanding in the community.
Why do you need to depend on the Lord?
1. The Lord has brought us thus far by His grace and mercy.
2. We owe everything to Him Who has saved us, set us free from sin, given us new purpose in life.
3. We need His empowerment by His Holy Spirit who draws all men to Himself. We cannot sustain any growth or draw man to God. Only God can save their souls and if we try we are frauds.
4. Only God knows what we need spiritually, mentally and physically.
5. Only God can do for us what is best. People have limited knowledge and understanding.
6. Humans also have their own struggles in life to deal with; when we continually turn to others with our problems, we only pile our problems onto the load they are already carrying; we drag the others down with our complaints and difficulties
7. Going to friends becomes a source of misplaced dependence who may not be reliable for all problmes.
8. God is there for the big and small problems. He is faithful based on His Word.
9. When our human help die, they return to the dust; on that day all their plans come to an end.
Psalms 62:5 I depend on God alone; I put my hope in him. no human being can save you. When they die, they return to the dust; on that day all their plans come to an end.
God wants to be the one we come to with our problems. He promises to help us and give us rest.
Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all you who are troubled and weighted down with care, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke on you and become like me, for I am gentle and without pride, and you will have rest for your souls; For my yoke is good, and the weight I take up is not hard.”BBE
Psalms 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Don’t put your trust in human leaders; Happy are those who have the God of Jacob to help them and who depend on the LORD their God, the Creator of heaven, earth, and sea, and all that is in them. He always keeps his promises;” Psalms 146:3-6 GNB
O God, our help in ages past,
our hope for years to come,
our shelter from the stormy blast,
and our eternal home.
2. Under the shadow of thy throne,
still may we dwell secure;
sufficient is thine arm alone,
and our defense is sure.
3. Before the hills in order stood,
or earth received her frame,
from everlasting, thou art God,
to endless years the same.
4. A thousand ages, in thy sight,
are like an evening gone;
short as the watch that ends the night,
before the rising sun.
5. Time, like an ever rolling stream,
bears all who breathe away;
they fly forgotten, as a dream
dies at the opening day.
6. O God, our help in ages past,
our hope for years to come;
be thou our guide while life shall last,
and our eternal home.
by Isaac Watts
Response: O Lord, help me to depend on You everyday of my life for it is You working in me to will and to act according to Your good purpose.
Apart from You I can do nothing, and as You are the Vine help me abide in You so that I may bear much fruit to Your glory. I know that without You I can do nothing. So help me Lord. In Jesus Name, Amen.