Christianity in America – I Find it Puzzling
by Darrell Creswell
In this modern world there is a lot of confusion and misinformation that can lead believers and non-believers wondering what to think. In a country where about 78% of adults (247 million) identify themselves as Christians, I find it puzzling that . . .
- Our public education system teaches in public schools that homosexuality is OK, http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/58592127.html But in public schools prayer and Bible reading is banned http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/06/25/today-marks-the-50th-anniversary-of-the-prayer-ban-in-public-schools-heres-the-history/
- In today’s society you can kill an unborn child http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.htmlBut it is wrong to execute a convicted murderer; http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004433
- You can have pornography on TV or the internet, http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/religion/2979722/postsBut you better not put a nativity scene on public property during Christmas; http://www.policymic.com/articles/19649/war-on-christmas-nativity-scene-has-no-place-on-public-property
As conflicted and confusion as our society is, “Christians” are also widely divided by factions and beliefs.
- Calvinists – http://carm.org/dictionary-calvinism
- Charismatics – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charismatic_Christianity
- Evangelicals – http://www.nae.net/church-and-faith-partners/what-is-an-evangelical
- Christian Apologists – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_apologetics
- Hyper Grace – http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/40060-eight-signs-of-hyper-grace-churches
- Orthodox Christianity – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Christianity
- Yeshua Only Movement – http://www.cccla.org/index.php?pageId=55
These are only a few, as there are a reported 41,000 different Christian Denominations around the world, with 1500 reported in the US alone. We have the liberty to worship Christ here in America free of the dangers that many in the world face. An average of 159,960 Christians around the globe are martyred for their faith in Christ every year. http://christianity.about.com/od/denominations/p/christiantoday.htm
With legalism, grace by works, and all the other ugly things that rear their head claiming to be the road that leads to salvation, you can rest assured that the grace of God is a free gift offered to each one of us individually and is not attached to any church or denomination. There are many opinions from which to choose from, but I am here to remind you that the only one that counts is God’s. Outside all the rules and guidelines that man would have you follow, God’s plan for you is simple – repent and receive the gift He has given you. Ephesians 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-
Romans 10:8-10 The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart, that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.
In all of scripture there is no promise that is as powerful as this. There is no other promise that can put wings to flight like this scripture can. This summarizes all that Christ accomplished on the cross, and gives the opportunity to all who are lost to become members in His redemptive sacrifice. Here even the most ill-informed or ignorant, confused and/or bewildered individuals can read and understand God’s simple plan to save all who will believe. Believe on Him; believe what the scriptures say about Him, speak it out loud openly confessing that you believe in your heart of hearts that what the Word says is true, and He becomes your King, your Lord, and your Savior. The Christ of glory comes down into you and writes your name in the Lambs Book of Life. There is nothing in all of creation more powerful and glorious as this. It is as easy as that, and for anyone to tell you anything different; in this humble writer’s opinion, is blasphemy.