Free from the Stronghold of Blindsidedness
Written by Christian author, Pola Muzyka.
Every day we are bombarded by news from all points of view. We no longer trust the media to give us clear and valid reporting. Some of the media seem to be deliberately clouding the truth in whatever slant works their ratings or agendas. Are they being paid off? We can become blindsided unless we keep our focus on God.
Does this mean we will never get distortions in our input? No. We must continually research what we assume to be the truth and research the details of this truth through credible sources. Politicians, world leaders and even religious leaders can prevent us from seeing clearly. A stronghold of blindsidedness will enter our lives if/when we rely on one source and if/when we ignore the word of God, the power of prayer, and the need to research well.
There are whole religions that block followers from reading the gospel (the Bible) without their input, booklets, or their own guide to explain (their distorted view of) what the Bible says.
Matthew 23:24-25 [Woe to you] You blind guides, filtering out a gnat and gulping down a [a]camel! 25 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, pretenders (hypocrites)! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the plate, but within they are full of extortion (prey, spoil, plunder) and grasping self-indulgence.
- Matthew 23:24 The camel was also unclean, one of the largest of unclean animals, whereas the gnat was the smallest of unclean animals (Lev. 11:4).
So what can we do to prevent a spirit of blindsidedness in falling on us before it becomes a stronghold?
1. Trust God. If you put a religion, a prophet, a political party, a country or anything else above God you will open yourself up to this stronghold.
Psalm 25:5 Guide me in Your truth and faithfulness and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; for You [You only and altogether] do I wait [expectantly] all the day long.
John 16:13 But when He, the Spirit of Truth (the Truth-giving Spirit) comes, He will guide you into all the Truth (the whole, full Truth). For He will not speak His own message [on His own authority]; but He will tell whatever He hears [from the Father; He will give the message that has been given to Him], and He will announce and declare to you the things that are to come [that will happen in the future].
2. Above all else, love others– particularly the believer in Christ Jesus. Sometimes it’s hard to love but, “Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.” 1 Corinthians 13:4
1 John 2:11 But he who hates (detests, despises) his brother [ in Christ] is in darkness and walking (living) in the dark; he is straying and does not perceive or know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
3, Stay out of the world–spiritually speaking. This may be difficult at first, especially if you’ve been caught up in a religion or a mode of thinking that seems right to you. But if it takes verses out of context, goes against, or distorts the word of God, it is wrong. Remember Almighty God — not the god of the world — is the priority here and God tells us to love, forgive, have mercy, choose life, and so forth.
2 Corinthians 4:4 For the god of this world has blinded the unbelievers’ minds [that they should not discern the truth], preventing them from seeing the illuminating light of the Gospel of the glory of Christ (the Messiah), Who is the Image and Likeness of God.
4. Be careful not to fall into the trap. Proverbs 16:25 There is a way that seems right to a man and appears straight before him, but at the end of it is the way of death.
Romans 11:7 What then [shall we conclude]? Israel failed to obtain what it sought [God’s favor by obedience to the Law]. Only the elect (those chosen few) obtained it, while the rest of them became callously indifferent (blinded, hardened, and made insensible to it).
5. Choose Christ. If you have been called, move forward and receive Christ. As blindsiding becomes more of an acceptable way of life there may never be another chance to receive the truth.
Ephesians 1:11 God also decided ahead of time to choose us through Christ according to his plan, which makes everything work the way he intends.
John 3:5 Jesus answered Nicodemus, “I can guarantee this truth: No one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit.
Psalm 40:11 Do not withhold your compassion from me, O Lord.May your mercy and your truth always protect me.
John 8:32 You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”