Free from the Stronghold of Complacency
Written by Christian author, Pola Muzyka.
This is a tricky stronghold that can fool us into assuming we are protected or insulated from harm. When our guard is down, we can be struck from behind by any number of strongholds that can separate us from the blessings God has to give us. Click to tweet.
1 Thessalonians 5:3 When people are saying, All is well and secure, and, There is peace and safety, then in a moment unforeseen destruction (ruin and death) will come upon them as suddenly as labor pains come upon a woman with child; and they shall by no means escape, for there will be no escape.
A stronghold of complacency can eventually destroy us and our family. It takes our minds off impending danger and distracts us so that we do not take action to avoid or rid ourselves of the catalyst of a problem. It can prevent us from warning others, from protecting our children, our futures, and even our own lives.
Complacency seeks out it’s target through strongholds of deception, denial, mediocrity, sloth and many other strongholds that help it in its quest to destroy the host. God does not sanction, nor is he pleased with complacency. Revelation 3:15-16 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.
How can we remove this stronghold before it removes us?
1. Never ignore a potential threat or problem. Pray and ask God’s help and guidance in what he would have you do.
Proverbs 1:32 For the simple are killed by their turning away, and the complacency of fools destroys them;
2. Make sure what you do, or are doing, lines up with the word of God. Chronically going against God’s word [the Bible] will bring on the complacency stronghold of doom and destruction.
Psalm 40:4 Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) is the man who makes the Lord his refuge and trust, and turns not to the proud or to followers of false gods.
3. Always seek to improve your walk with the Lord according to His will as you would any covenant marriage so that you may be a help to those beginning to learn about God’s love.
Revelation 2:4 But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first.
Hebrews 5:11-12 About this we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food,
4. Don’t quit. One of the fastest ways to lose your closeness with the Lord is to stop seeking him out or stop moving forward in your calling.
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
5. Turn back. If you feel you have severed your relationship or closeness with God, turn back to him, repent and renew your vows [or fellowship] with Him. If you have not yet repented of your sins and received the salvation that Christ Jesus has redeemed for you, it’s time to do it now. Matthew 7:7“Ask, and you will receive. Search, and you will find. Knock, and the door will be opened for you.
1 Peter 3:11 Let him turn away from wickedness and shun it, and let him do right. Let him search for peace (harmony; undisturbedness from fears, agitating passions, and moral conflicts) and seek it eagerly. [Do not merely desire peaceful relations with God, with your fellowmen, and with yourself, but pursue, go after them!]
Matthew 16:26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?