Many Christians navel-gaze. Are you one of them?
Navel-gazing : self-indulgent or excessive contemplation of oneself or a single issue, at the expense of a wider view.
Have you been bogged down by someone else’s behavior or inaction?
Have you focused on the weaknesses of others and made them the reason for your inaction or depression?
Has your ministry to the Lord been looking at yourself excessively instead of turning to the Lord for strength to overcome? Of course you will remain defeated or depressed because the enemy the devil is seeking you to devour. Only He, the Holy Spirit that is in you can help you overcome the enemy.You have to acknowledge that before help comes from above. It is your prerogative to do what you choose.
Results of Navel-gazing
1, Missed opportunity for growth through commitment to the task in hand, evangelism, missions and caring for others
O my, O me, Poor me – why did they do this to me? Why did God allow this to happen to me? Why was my loved one taken away from me? Me! me! me!
Remember you are not the only one on this earth and Jesus acknowledged that in Matthew 22
“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.”–
There is God without Whom you can do nothing. With Him,you can do everything in His wonderful plan for you
There are others around you who have needs, much more than you, with whom you can share the blessings God has bestowed on you and so fulfill your purpose in God.
2. Missed blessings from God for not being obedient to His commands to love God and others. Matthew 6:33 Seek first the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you.
3. You put yourself in danger of sinking lower in the mire of depression, and discouragement instead of moving positively forward in His strength as an overcomer. This depression may lead to suicide because there seems to be no hope within yourself if you do not acknowledge that He in you is greater than he that is in the world. Be uild you faith on the Solid Rock, Christ Jesus.
4. You may be paralyzed with fear for action forgetting that He has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of a sound mind.
Call to action
1 Corinthians 16:13
Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.
The Word tells us to
- watch not at yourself but at what God and others are doing and needing, and take note of the enemy who seeks to put you in despair.
- stand fast in the faith – you cannot navel-watch and stand fast like a soldier ready for battle having trust in and looking to the One giving the orders and providing protection
- quit being like cowardly, distracted men who do not focus on the purpose and work in hand
- be strong – only with the Lord and in the power of His might
It is time to Get real
in the purpose of God