Teens Blog – SF 5 – Did You Say God Speaks To You?

Latin Teenager Praying

Have you ever wondered how people could say, “God spoke to me today.” Teens often hear this in church or among family or friends and wonder, “How did God speak to them? I don’t hear from God like that.”

Here is the good news. You CAN learn how to hear God’s voice. It is not as hard as you think so let’s look at several different ways that God speaks to us even today.
In 1 Kings 19:12 it says, “And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper.” God doesn’t need big noises like an earthquake to have you hear Him.

Sometimes when it is quiet and not a sound is heard, we often times will hear God speaking to our heart with a flowing of unspoken thoughts. It pops in your head and it is clear and precise and you understand that this could not have come any other way other than God.
For example, there have been plenty of times in which I was doing the dishes or driving the car and someone’s name would suddenly come to my mind. Then with urgency, I would pray for them at that moment. It did not come from an audible voice where you can clearly hear the sound of that person. It came instead, with a spontaneous thought. That is one way that God is speaking.

Reading the Bible every day is another key way to hear from God. You are inviting God to speak to you while you are learning from Him. John 10:27 shows us that as we learn about Jesus, He sees us as His sheep. He wants us to listen to His voice. He knows us and when He calls us, we in essence follow His voice. II Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.” This scripture shows us that by reading His Word, God can impart teaching, correction, and encouragement.

God also speaks to us through nature and teaches us little lessons in life such as the little caterpillar that must eat itself in the cocoon in order for it to become a butterfly. It will release enzymes to dissolve all of its tissues until all that is left are the cells to make imaginal discs that produce the new body parts. But after a time, all those imaginal discs change the stage of the caterpillar from something old that must die to something new and life changing to begin. Isn’t that true as a teenager, you struggle and wonder why you have to go through such difficulties. But when you get through it to the other side with God’s help, you attain a new life, vibrant and growing for His glory.

God may also use images and music to speak to you. God’s creativity in these areas can be like a picture with a thousand words. When we praise Him through our art, poetry, song, it becomes an open doorway for God to speak and minister to us through the Holy Spirit. Just like King David in the Psalms, he used the creative arts to share God’s glory and to speak to the people. Allow God to speak to you through your music and artistry.

Lastly and most importantly is prayer. Romans 8:26-27 shares, “In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.”

The more we pray, the more our hearts are sensitive to what the Lord is saying to us. Through His Spirit, situations can become clearer or confirm something within our heart. As a teen, you don’t need to have a perfect prayer. You only need to be open and honest with God. Use your own words the way you would speak with a family member or friend. God is not looking for perfection, just a humble heart waiting on Him to hear His voice.
Do any of these ways happen immediately? No. But always keep your heart attuned to His voice, seeking Him daily and before you know it, you will hear God’s voice speaking to you.

Advertisements

About Stacy Lee Flury

I am foremost a mom who loves to write. My passion is writing a support blog for parents of troubled and hurting teens at AnchorOfPromise.com. When I'm not writing, I am sharing my life with my family, our beloved furry friends and spending times in fellowship with close friends.
This entry was posted in A CLICK A BLESSING TODAY, CHRISTIAN TAGALOG BLOGS, CHRISTIAN TEENS BLOGS, Christian Teens Blogs - He is my Peace, Light and Refuge and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Teens Blog – SF 5 – Did You Say God Speaks To You?

1. nonsupernaturalist says:

Growing up fundamentalist/evangelical, I was told that as a born-again Christian God would “speak to me”, “move me”, and “lead me” so that I would know and could follow his will. I listened to others talk about how God spoke to them, moved them, and led them to do this and to do that…but He never did the same for me. I finally came to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with me because God had decided he didn’t want to talk to me. So I left the Church.

Many years later I became an orthodox Lutheran and was told that God doesn’t work like that. The evangelicals are wrong. The voice they are listening to is their own. According to “true” Christianity, God speaks to Christians in only one manner: through his Word, the Bible.

That gave me a lot of peace…until I found out that the “Word” is full of discrepancies, errors, and scribe alterations.

I was very sad (and angry) to find out—it is ALL nonsense.

So what about my problem of not hearing the “voice” that other evangelicals were hearing speak, move, and lead them? After deconverting completely from Christianity, I came to realize that it was THEM, not me, that had the problem. They were hearing voices. I was the sane one…who did not.

Nonsupernaturalist I am saddened by your confession of deconverting.

Jesus told the Jews in John 10:26 “But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep. 27″My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 28and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.”

This is my experience
      1. The Spirit himself testifies with our (my) spirit that we are God’s children. Romans 8:16

2, I must keep close to the Lord as He speaks to those who are listening. Like the boy Samuel who said “Speak Lord thy servant heareth” (1 Samuel 3:10)

Here is a Warning against Pride when we ask to hear from God
      …James 4: 2You lust and do not have; so you commit murder. You are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel. You do not have because you do not ask. 3You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

3.The Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path – God speaks through His Word as I read, study and meditate on the Word

4. God speaks to me, through and to those who have the gifts of wisdom, knowledge, prophecy and faith. The gift of wisdom allows believers to choose the spiritual more easily over the physical. Understanding enables the faithful to comprehend the meaning of the scriptures and imparts empathy for others. The gift of counsel helps believers make the right choices. Fortitude allows those who believe in the Holy Spirit to overcome obstacles and withstand challenges to their faith. Knowledge goes beyond facts to understanding truths that are not easily demonstrated. Piety imparts a sense of respect for sacred items and beliefs. The gift of fear of the Lord ensures that believers understand the might and majesty of our God.

5. God speaks peace to the life storms around me and He gives me peace in the midst of the storm which He has quelled.

6. The Holy Spirit prays through me in a heavenly language
      “Romans 8:26 the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; 27and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God..

7. I quote Matthew Henry’s Commentary

Submit your understanding to the truth of God; submit your wills to the will of his precept, the will of his providence. Submit yourselves to God, for he is ready to do you good. If we yield to temptations, the devil will continually follow us; but if we put on the whole armour of God, and stand out against him, he will leave us. Let sinners then submit to God, and seek his grace and favour; resisting the devil. All sin must be wept over; here, in godly sorrow, or, hereafter, in eternal misery. And the Lord will not refuse to comfort one who really mourns for sin, or to exalt one who humbles himself before him.

2 Chronicles 7: 14 if My people, who are called by My name, shall humble themselves and pray, and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Isaiah 58: 9 Then when you call, the LORD will answer. ‘Yes, I am here,’ he will quickly reply. “Remove the heavy yoke of oppression. Stop pointing your finger and spreading vicious rumors! ”

I wish you knew my Jesus and love Him as I do.

• I am heart-brokened that you chose to leave God just because you didn’t hear from God. Many in the Old Testament did not have the spiritual insight that we have as Christians today (even the New Testament was ahead because of the Holy Spirit) and yet they had a very close relationship to God in a way that Christians look to have. Sometimes our expectations and even bargaining of God can lead us to great disappointment and discouragement. You said that you didn’t hear from God for years. I am curious as to why you didn’t have a discussion with your pastor or youth group leader about this. I think you are also misunderstanding about the “hearing” part. We can “hear” God speaking through the confirmations of others on a situation we are going through. We can “hear” God speaking through a gut feeling that something is wrong and that is God’s way of letting us know to get out of that situation or to do something to change it. We can “hear” God through the Word of God (which also supports the other things I spoke about) that is relevant to our dilemma and we can also “hear” God through a song or even a dream (e.g. Joseph and his dreams). What is rare is hearing God in an audible way. But that doesn’t mean that it won’t happen. If evangelicals are just delusional in their hearing, then I would say there are a lot of delusional Christians hearing things. That is too many to count. You said that you became angry and that in itself can put a wall up between you and God. In the end, the only one that can truly answer your question as to why you couldn’t “Hear” God is God Himself.
      As to the BIble being full of errs, God doesn’t make mistakes in His Word. If you researched how the scripture was put together and the meticulous way of putting the books together and how it was written, you would understand how there can be no errs. In the end, I hope and pray that God will reveal truth to you so that you can find real peace.

2. taris19 says:

This is indeed true. God speaks to me through a lot of music. Sometimes I have to stop singing and listen to the words. I told one of my Sisters at Church that I only understand the Psalms Chapter. God is speaking to me through that to. You just inspire to me write a poem. Thanks for posting this. Look at my blog and see how God speaks to me. 🙂 AMEN!!! http://thepoeticchild.wordpress.com

3. taris19 says:

Reblogged this on God's Poetic Child and commented:
    This really spoke to me. God was speaking to me while reading this. Amen.

4. ptl2010 says:

Thank you Stacy for your sharing on the subject. In deed The Lord loves us so much that He seeks to speak specially to each one of us through the din and turmoil of our experiences.
    There are also times when He uses others in the family of God through whom He speaks to us – these are people who are His servants in church and also our family members who love The Lord and to whom God has led us to them in His wonderful way. He prepared them for us way before our present needs or hotspots we find ourselves today. .. Bringing to us the experience – my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory….O what the deep, deep love of God does for us – when we do not understand or even when we are far away from Him.

Thank You Lord. May we hear and see You and learn to accept that You way is the best way for us.

5. kamsiasuzu says:

Great post! After I read Joyce Meyer’s “how to hear from God”, it assured me that I can, and actually do, hear from God. So, I recommend this book for anyone struggling with hearing God’s voice 🙂 Love the song too, one of my faves! God bless

6. Thank you for reblogging. May God bless you as you hear from Him too!