What a great advantage the children of God have over the non-believers.
When David called upon the Lord in Psalm 16, let us see what blessings He obtained:
1 Keep me safe, my God,
for in you I take refuge.
2 I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
apart from you I have no good thing.”
3 I say of the holy people who are in the land,
“They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.”
4 Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more.
I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods
or take up their names on my lips.
5 Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup;
you make my lot secure.
6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
7 I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
8 I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,
10 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
nor will you let your faithful one see decay.
11 You make known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
David obtained the following benefits
1. The Protection of God – the Lord keeps us safe and is our Refuge verse 1 and we can rest secure – verse 5 and 9. “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.” Romans 10:28
2. The Plan and Purpose of God – apart from God we have no good thing for we know His plans are for our good.- verse 2 – “‘For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11
3. Guidance & Instruction – The Lord counsels and instructs us – verse 7 in the daytime and in the nighttime. He makes known the path of life – verse 12. “Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” Psalm 119:105
4. Joy & Pleasure – He does not leave us lost for he sets our boundary lines which lead to pleasant places. – verse 6 and verse 12. Our hearts are glad and our tongues rejoice – how wonderful – verse 9. Sunday School children sing about this joy
5. Hope of future glory – we have the hope of eternal pleasures at His right hand – verse 12 . There will be glory which will override all the highs and lows of this life on earth
6. Fellowship of the saints – there is only One Body of Christ and if you are doing your share in the purpose and will of God, you will find you are not alone because there are others on this pilgrim way whom you can share blessings with so they are multiplied and as you bear each other’s burdens so the load is halved. Praise the Lord. – verse 3.
David experienced all the above blessings because He called upon the Lord.
Have you experienced the blessings of God? Have you called upon the Lord Jesus Christ?
You can experience His love with sins forgiven, the security of protection, light and instruction along the way, His peace and knowledge that He knows the way in His good plans and that you have the hope of glory. Praise God.
*Blessed by Pastor Richard Ong’s Sunday message.