At John’s Baptism the man Jesus was:
- Consecrated (Legal Age of 30 according to Law – could minister in Temple)
- Cleansed (purification of the body according to Law – John the Baptist was a Levite)
- Anointed with the Holy Spirit under Law (God’s ownership to begin the 3 1/2 year earthly ministry preaching the Kingdom as the Messiah) Acts 10:38
After John’s Baptism Jesus entered into the earthly priesthood which was appointed by God – to be after the order of Melchizedek. Psalm 110: , Hebrews 7: , Melchizedek had an earthly priesthood and was King of Salem. In similitude Jesus had an earthly priesthood and was King of Jerusalem. During His earthly priesthood Jesus performed:
- Earthly service for the nation of Israel – meeting needs
- Earthly ministry for the nation of Israel – Preaching Kingdom
- Human ministry in obedience to Law for the people
- Ministered 27 times in the Temple
- Ministered in synagogues
- Ministered in the open air
- Duties as a priests who were responsible for teaching the Jewish people the law of God
- Duties as a priest to offer divine sacrifice unto God (the crucifixion)
Josephus a Jewish historian stated about John’s Baptism: and so to come to baptism; for that the washing [with water] would be acceptable to him, if they made use of it, not in order to the putting away [or the remission] of some sins [only], but for the purification of the body; supposing still that the soul was thoroughly purified beforehand by righteousness
God spoke audibly when the man Jesus was baptized of John. God spoke out loud about Christ after He received the waters of purification, “This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased”. Matthew 3: Jesus was inaugurated into the priesthood, anointed with God’s ownership, and sent out to present the Kingdom Message to Israel. This earthly priesthood and ministry lasted 3 1/2 years until the Kingdom Message was rejected and Jesus went to the cross at Calvary.
A vast number of Old Testament prophecies unfolded and were confirmed at John’s Baptism. Only more evidence of Bible Truth that makes the substance and meaning of God’s Word so real and alive. This kind of truth is a faith builder. Faith is the heart of our Salvation by Grace. Faith is fortified by truth and evidence.