In his recent blog entitled “We get old soon enough and smart as we gonna be”
4hispraise wrote “I debated with myself that I should reveal the things of a very personal nature“.
- I often find myself in the same dilemma and it resonated with me – should I share about the things I am involved when I seek collaboration and prayer support, when I have a personal testimony to share in thanksgiving and to encourage some other? Should I tell it like it is or should I share only what is politically correct? Do we dare to tell it like it is, breaking through facades and walls built and entrenched by people who would be afraid of what people might say? whose conscience may be pricked because of inactivity or disobedience,? who “save face” and remain with the crowd even when things are going in the wrong direction?
Do I melt into the crowd without standing up for what should be raised for action?
Do I not testify and follow the example of the nine ungrateful lepers in the Bible, instead of following the one thankful leper?
Do I not share that the Lord can save, deliver, heal and strengthen, protect as He has done to many lives I know, based on His Word? The natural thing to do is to mind my business – if Christ had that attitude, He would not have died for us.
Then I ask myself – Am I serving God or man? He is right beside and in me. Who shall I please?
There is something “attractive” when I remember Jesus said in John 15 ” 18If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’b If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.21They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. 22If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23Whoever hates me hates my Father as well.24If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.”
With much thought and prayer, no longer can I keep quiet for Jesus stands beside me and would have me promote His cause as He did. However, in doing so I should
- have motivation that is true in the Lord’s service or in thanksgiving or encouragement
- not be boastful for it is not my work but His and to the extent it shows the awesome power, deliverance, healing of The Lord, for encouragement.
- say what it is without exaggeration because I am to be truthful.
- be sensitive how I say it if there are sensitivities but not to exclusion of sharing what I should at home, at church, cell group, or on the blog, to whoever the Lord sends to collaborate in His service or need His touch
- remember that Jesus stands beside me and is the One who should approve my sharing.
The response to my sharing is dependent on the following and should not affect my sharing just because they disapprove or look askance as I share.
- those who are active and interested in the Lord’s work worldwide will appreciate sharing and will encourage and advise their support and prayer for collaborators
- those who rejoice with me or are encouraged and accept my testimony or encouragement
- those who are immune and happy with status quo are not affected
- those who are inactive would suggest it is boasting as sharing may prick conscience for inaction and to distract attention from inaction
- those who are parochial and want to know nothing out of their country or community would reject any sharing and remain ignorant
- those who want to know to increase the borders of their ministry and would be interested to seek more information.
I would hope that each time I share the work we are involved, my thanksgiving testimony and encouragement, that our Contributors and readers will join me in concern and prayer for I am conscious that Jesus is standing by. To God be the glory.
What about you – have you ever faced this dilemma of keeping private what you feel is private even though the Holy Spirit is speaking to you – to give God the glory, give Him praise for great things He has and is doing, and to encourage through the Word and His promises fulfilled?
What are you doing with Jesus standing next to you?