You must not worship the Lord your God in the way the pagan nations do because in worshiping their gods, they do all kinds of detestable things the Lord hates. They even burn their sons and daughters in the fire as sacrifices to their gods. Deuteronomy 12:31
Here are the seven things God detests (some translations say (God “hates”) them.
However you say it, God has no use for any of them.
- Haughty eyes–Haughty eyes are full of pride and arrogance. They look down on others as better than or superior to. The word haut which is Anglo-Saxon for “high” and the Latin word “altus” which is where we get the word “altitude”. Proverbs 6:16
- lying tongue–A lie is saying something that is false even when you know the person you are telling this knows it is a lie. One who tells lies. Psalm 109:2
- A hand that sheds innocent blood–To shed innocent blood is to take the life of one who has done nothing worthy of death. God will not hold any blameless for the deaths of ‘Innocents’. Deuteronomy 19:13
- A heart that devises wicked schemes— therefore speaks of a person who deliberately plans to act wickedly, who spends his time devising wickedness upon others. Nehemiah 1:7
- Feet that are quick to run into evil–Feet that are quick to rush into evil: To rush into evil is to demonstrate a great delight and enjoyment of evil and an eagerness to participate in it. God hates the enjoyment of evil. Matthew 12:34-37
- A false witness who pours out lies–An honest witness does not deceive, but a dishonest witness pours forth lies. A false witness will not go unpunished, and one who utters lies will not escape. They will perish. Proverbs 19:9
- A person who stirs up conflict in the community—Proverbs 10:12